Snap Cap Rollerball Kit (2 Tuned Sections)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Was looking for something with two turned sections (cap and barrel), that snaps.

Thanks for reading!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

This one snaps. It is an ok kit. Overall I like it, and have turned a few. The only thing I didn't like, was that the brass tube has no fitting over it, and the first kit I turned ended up scratching the nib part. I now use my dremel and some polishing compound to polish down the inner edge of the tube, basically rounding it off towards the inner side of the blank. Once the tube is polished smooth, it should be pretty safe from scratching the nib, although there is no guarantee.

The snap cap part is also a little tough to tune perfectly, and due to tolerances between kits, with some kits the cap may snap better on one end of the pen than the other. It does stay just a bit loose on the less-ideally fitting end.

If these are things you can live with, then this is a two turned sections, snap cap rollerball kit.

jrista

Oh, there is one other thing to note. The clip requires filing a little notch in the cap, so that it seats properly. If the notch is not filed, the end of the cap and the clip sit unsightly on the cap. Its not really that hard to do...but it does take a bit of time and a fine file. I didn't read the instructions clearly and missed this the first time, and ended up having to disassemble.

I think Berea also has a snap cap pen. I'm pretty sure its almost the same thing (same finial with the snap lip, and the same insert into the cap that makes the snap functionality work), but...IIRC it looks a bit better, and may not have the requirment of filing for the clip. I haven't tried the Berea one yet, as I decided to start turning higher end rollerball and fountain pen kits. I think the Berea overall may be a better kit than the Artisan one I linked, though.

jrista

Here is the Berea version. Called the Flat Top, but it has the same finial design as the Artisan kits I have, seems to be the same size, both the cap and the body use the same tube size, and looking at the instructions it definitely uses the same snap design. I like the look of this kit better than the Artisan myself...just looks more stylish and professional.

Stubach

I did a Magnetic Vertex (Rockler/psi) and have been very happy with it.

Also did a Conservative Rollerball (turners warehouse) and it came out looking nice but has a drawback of the cap not being about to seat on the back end when open so you have to just hold onto it or set it down. Note that this kit also has an "unfinished" tube edge in the cap that needs cleaning up so it doesn't scratch the nib parts.

jrista

Oh, yeah...I guess you could call the Magnetic Vertex a "snap cap"...it certainly snaps! I just turned a mag vertex fountain pen...I'll share some photos, @TonyL of one I just made last weekend, so you can see what its like. Its a really nice kit, does not require threading the cap on or off.

TonyL

Oh, yeah...I guess you could call the Magnetic Vertex a "snap cap"...it certainly snaps! I just turned a mag vertex fountain pen...I'll share some photos, @TonyL of one I just made last weekend, so you can see what its like. Its a really nice kit, does not require threading the cap on or off.
Thank you.

jrista

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. Here are a couple shots of the Gunmetal Magnetic Vertex w/ Turqoiose + Black Vein stone fountain pen (you can also get the same kit as a rollerball though):

Magnetic Vertex Gunmetal with Turquoise Black Vein-3.jpg

Magnetic Vertex Gunmetal with Turquoise Black Vein-4.jpg

No threads. Just magnets. I now realize that this is a single section, though.

For two sections, I think the Berea Flat Top is probably what you are looking for.

Stubach

Gun Metal Magnetic Vertex in Rollerball. Sorry for on the go photo, was at work when I took it a few weeks ago. This is actually my EDC pen at work. Very nice kit.
4387F346-9E89-4CCA-A3B4-614A46D2C1E5.jpeg

Top Bottom