Snakeskin blanks and Alumite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Russb,

I have never done a snakeskin so I can not say how it will work. A couple of things, though. Alumilite clear absolutely must be pressure cast or you will end up with tiny champaigne bubbles. The Alumilite people recommend 60 psi.

its_virgil

And I've never cast alumalite, but if less pressure (than 60psi) will eleminate bubbles in polyester resin, then I would think the same would be true for any other casting resin. Not trying to start an argument...just thinking our loud.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />Russb,

I have never done a snakeskin so I can not say how it will work. A couple of things, though. Alumilite clear absolutely must be pressure cast or you will end up with tiny champaigne bubbles. The Alumilite people recommend 60 psi.

its_virgil

But if 20 works, why go higher. As a couple of us were just beginning to use pressure to cast snake skins, we progressivly lowered the psi and 25-30 seems to work as well as higher pressures. I think there is a point at which the bubbles are eliminated and going higher is of no visible benefit. 60psi may be required for alumalite...I'm no chemist nor physisist and alumalite may behave differently than polyester resin. And, it's a bit pricey with which to be experimenting. But, maybe some experimentation would be worth the expense. Although, using 60 psi is no more difficult than using 30 psi. A perplexing conudrum.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />Don,

It probably would. I am just going by what Alumilite recommends. Besides, if 20 is good, wouldn't 60 be better?[:)]

Russb

I thank all for their advice. I usually follow manufacturers advice, at least for a starting guideline. With the quality of everyones work, like cactus pens and snakeskin, I would usually begin by following your advice. I just took another look at Alumilites site. I read where they recommend 35-40 pounds pressure. ????? We all experiment with what works for us. I would like to see if vacuum will work for alumilite or any other medium. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight paint pot at the moment. It seems to be the cheapest and one of the safer ways to go. Keep that advice coming.....

its_virgil

Russb,
I use both vacuum and pressure for casting snake skins and use the HF paint pot fot both the vacuum chamber and the pressure chamber.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Russb
<br />I thank all for their advice. ... I would like to see if vacuum will work for alumilite or any other medium. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight paint pot at the moment. It seems to be the cheapest and one of the safer ways to go. Keep that advice coming.....

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I guess I was dreaming regarding the 60 psi! I swear I read it somewhere but could not find it anywhere so I stand corrected![:)]

For vacuum and Alumilite...it is really not necessary. If you do decide to try vacuum, you will want to de-gass each part before mixing. Once mixed, your open time is only 6 minutes and you will not have enough time to vacuum, remove, pour, and then pressure. Now I guess you could vacuum cast, though.

Also, note that with Alumilite you need to measure your resin by wieght, not volume. It does make a difference, especially with larger batches.

Alumilite

Here at Alumilite we recommend 35-45 psi. More than that is typically overkill. As someone mentioned 25 psi, that too may be plenty good enough. We typically use a 50 psi pot and have rarely needed to go with more pressure. There are times we do recommend both vacuuming and pressure casting but for this application it is not necessary.

Here is a How To page on our site that walks you through pressure casting our Water Clear resin. http://www.alumilite.com/index.php?page=show_how&id=74 You can click on the individual pictures to make them a little bigger.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Alumilite
800 447-9344

smoky10

Mike, thanks for your input. Its good to see vendors help the members of this forum use their products correctly. We have several vendors that are members and post often, hope you come by often as well.[8D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Also keep in mind, 60psi is probably going to make it more likely to push resin into the tubes.

Excellent point Skye!

The higher the pressure, the better your tube seal has to be. It's no fun trying to get the resin out of the tubes. DAMHIKT [V]

Russb

Wow, thanks Mike. After checking out the Harbor Freight pot they rate it between 30 and 60. The burst pressure is probably rated much highger buy why push it.

Nice to see a manufacturer keeping his eye on us. That's the way to ensure your products work for us.

its_virgil

My HF paint pot is rated at 75psi.
Don
Originally posted by Russb
<br />Wow, thanks Mike. After checking out the Harbor Freight pot they rate it between 30 and 60. The burst pressure is probably rated much highger buy why push it.

Nice to see a manufacturer keeping his eye on us. That's the way to ensure your products work for us.

its_virgil

It's almost impossible, especially when the tubes are full of BB's as mine are. I've had little or no leakage at the lower pressure--30psi--than I was having at 50-60 psi.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Also keep in mind, 60psi is probably going to make it more likely to push resin into the tubes.

Excellent point Skye!

The higher the pressure, the better your tube seal has to be. It's no fun trying to get the resin out of the tubes. DAMHIKT [V]

johncrane

G'Day Mick from Alumilite l have looked at your site and l would like to say thanks for sharing with us' my Question is have you got a supplier in Australia if you do could you please let me know thank you.

Russb

Looked at the Harbor Freight pot again. The working pressure is 30-60 and max pressure 80. This according to the online manual. Now just waiting for that discount coupon, then I'll run about 1/2 mi. down the road to their warehouse in Camarillo, Ca.

Alumilite

JohnCrane,

The bad news is that we don't currently have any distribution in Australia right now but the good news is that we talked to someone today that may be picking us up very soon. I will keep you posted.

Mike
Alumilite

angboy

Originally posted by smitty
<br />Got a flyer in the mail yesterday and the HF pressure pot is on sale for $39.99. I have one but for those who don't it is a good deal.

Anyone know if this sale has ended, and if it was online, or in the store or both?

Thanks!

its_virgil

Here is the link to the paint tank. Seems it is still on sale. http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=pressure%20tank&Submit=Go

Print the page and the store will honor it. anything you find online, print it out and the walkin store will honor the price.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by angboy
<br />
Originally posted by smitty
<br />Got a flyer in the mail yesterday and the HF pressure pot is on sale for $39.99. I have one but for those who don't it is a good deal.

Anyone know if this sale has ended, and if it was online, or in the store or both?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom