Snake skins and such seam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txcwboy

I am getting everything together to start my own castings. I havent seen a Snakeskin or such inperson. Can you see the seam ? Whats it look like ( the seam) Can anyone post a pic of it please ? :)

thanks

Dave

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I cast my own snake skin blanks and I overlap the skins by about 1/16"
The seam blends in pretty good.I also powder coat the tubes white to bring out the skin color. I found that on the brass the color isn't just right.Sorry I dont have a camera.Don't put to much catalyst in the PR or you will get separation from the skins that look like air bubbles on the skins. I use the 3 drops per ounce and that works out.

rherrell

Originally posted by RONB

I cast my own snake skin blanks and I overlap the skins by about 1/16"
The seam blends in pretty good.I also powder coat the tubes white to bring out the skin color. I found that on the brass the color isn't just right.Sorry I dont have a camera.Don't put to much catalyst in the PR or you will get separation from the skins that look like air bubbles on the skins. I use the 3 drops per ounce and that works out.

White huh? I use olive green for mine. I'll have to try white and see how it works.
Dave, the seam should be overlapped like Ron said and you really have to be looking for it to see it.

JasonF

Dave,

In the articles section under "Articles 2006", Don Ward has a tutorial named "Making Snakeskin Blanks". He shows, with pics, how he cuts and glues them to best hide the seam.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom