Snake skin lessons learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rhahnfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhahnfl

200772015850_Snake_skin.jpg

This was my sixth pen. Snake skin blank from AZS, hardware from BTW & casing from Gary Max. I learned a lot making this one.
1. Sharp tools and a light touch!!!
2. Wet sanding is a good thing!!! Keep paper moving!! 120,240,400,eee & plastic polish
3. Fill holes from air bubbles with thick CA. Note to self...buy accelerant so glue dries quicker (patience)
4. Novus plastic polish works as advertised.
Next up... I have a piece of antler I'm going to try.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

Hi Chris, I think you did a great job on the pen. Next time I'll switch to sandpaper. I didn't fill mine with CA since I didn't like the looks of the label seam anyway.

Rifleman1776

The snakes do have a learning cure involved. And you nailed it, sharp and with patience. I'm not sure I would start with 120 grit, a bit coarse. I started at 220. Coarse can sometimes cause scratches which are an [explitive deleted] to get out. Lookin' good.

gerryr

Whoever it is that makes the snakeskin blanks for BB uses too much catalyst. It makes the PR set up faster but it also makes it brittle, but his skins are pretty good. The blanks from Glimmerz n More turn very nicely and are not brittle, but their skins are pretty mediocre.

Looks like you did a nice job with a difficult blank.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Whoever it is that makes the snakeskin blanks for BB uses too much catalyst. It makes the PR set up faster but it also makes it brittle, but his skins are pretty good. The blanks from Glimmerz n More turn very nicely and are not brittle, but their skins are pretty mediocre.

Looks like you did a nice job with a difficult blank.

I'm sure your characterization of Glimmerz N More's skin blanks as "mediocre" is your opinion. Mine is that they are stunning. Please check two examples I have put in my album. Others may make great snake blanks, but I'm now a loyal Glimmerz customer. A python Cigar is on the lathe now, waiting for me to finish my morning coffee to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom