Smoked Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

50 caliber casing with a Curly Maple nib and takes a Cross refill.
Turned, drilled, sanded to 400x, buffed with super fine steel wool, burnished with turned wood shavings and applied 6 coats of MINWAX Clear Gloss Wipe-On-Poly using the "Dipping Method"
Another one for up coming Gun Show next weekend.

Picture taking quality is slowly improving.

Les

SmokedMaplewithClearMaple.jpg

SmokedMapleandClearMaple.jpg

SmokedMapleCasingandClearMapleNib.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

Very nice. Any chance of a how-to write up? Understandable if you don't want to give the info away! I just really enjoy seeing these get posted and wouldn't mind making one or two!

W.Y.

Another beauty Les.

Got a chuckle when you said your Picture taking quality is slowly improving.. :wink:

Your photography has always been so excellent. I didn't think there was room for improvement but those photos are just fantastic. .
It looks like it is still wet but didn't bother touching my monitor to check because I knew it was dry :biggrin: :tongue: . It sure looks excellent on my 32" wide screen HD monitor.

With all the quality items you have been showing lately you should have a very successful upcoming Gun Show again next weekend.
Best of luck to you with that .

dexter0606

Where did the third pic go?
How big is the pen Les? Looks a little heavy to write with.
Good job on the finish
Have you thought about using acrylic? You can get some acrylic in colours that would make the cartridge look more realistic. Might be too heavy then but it would look good
Just a thought

Last edited:

rd_ab_penman

Where did the third pic go?
How big is the pen Les? Looks a little heavy to write with.
Good job on the finish
Have you thought about using acrylic? You can get some acrylic in colours that would make the cartridge look more realistic. Might be too heavy then but it would look good
Just a thought

Thanks Jeff.
Don't know what happened to the 3rd photo and this is one site that you can't go back and edit your threads or posts a short time after posting.
The pen is turned to the exact dimensions as an actual 50 cal casing a projectile.
With the casing being drilled out it is not any heavier that a Cigar or a 8mm Euro Premium.
The acrylic would be too heavy, but when I can find some more 7/8 or 1" acrylic blanks I may try a few.

This is the 3rd photo that went missing:
SmokedMapleCasingandClearMapleNib-1.jpg

Les

Last edited:

dexter0606

Thanks Les!
You're right, an acrylic in that size may be too heavy. Just thought that with some of the metallic looking acrylics available it may be cool

Top Bottom