Smoke to remove air bubbles?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this or tried it. He says he uses a hand mixer to stir and uses smoke to lose the bubbles. He starts talking about it at 4:40.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Doesn't any heat source, like a heat gun or torch do the same thing? And of course it only does the surface bubbles.

Curly

He said the CO2 pops the bubbles but I can't see how a gas would do that. I will offer another theory and that is the particles in the smoke mess with the surface tension somehow and that pops the bubbles. I still think it is better to avoid stirring the bubbles in in the first place and to use the heat gun as skiprat mentioned. Besides being in a cold climate there is no way I'm using a smoke generator in the shop or garage either. ;)

Of the videos I have watched when I started casting several years back, most severely over stir. That in it itself causes lots of bubbles. Depending of the resin type is how finicky it may be when it comes to bubbles. Using a pressure pot is always helpful and not at 50-60 psi in a HF pot like I see on YouTube unless you wanna blow something up!

Top Bottom