Smaller tool rest for Jet 1236?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AlanZ

Greetings...

I just acquired a few-year-old Jet 1236 lathe, and the supplied 12" tool rest is too big for turning pens on a mandrel (I can't get close enough).

So, what's the darling of the tool rest afficianados?

I believe the toolrest has a 1" post.

Do you suggest 6" as a good size for small works (pens, small boxes, etc)?

I see that Woodcraft and Sorby each have modular tool rest systems... does anyone use/like/dislike any of these?

I'm new to all of this, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I like the "T bar" rests. One post and buy whatever rests you want to attach. Real money saver if you have two different size lathes and can buy two posts and share the rests between them.

I got mine here and use the short 4" rest 95% of the time.... http://bestwoodtools.com/

AlanZ

I was looking at the Bestwoods Tools also... I'll check out Robust too

I measured the tool post and it's .998 inches... close enough to 1" for me <s>

rherrell

I make my own from 1" and 3/4" stock. By far I use the short 2 1/2" one the most.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• zzzzzz1111111.jpg
    zzzzzz1111111.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,080

Texatdurango

I make my own from 1" and 3/4" stock. By far I use the short 2 1/2" one the most.
Hey ole buddy ole pal... If the threads are the same on yours as mine, would you be interested in making me a 2 1/2" rest?

As I stated above, I use my 4" rest the most because it's the shortest. I'd love to have a 2 1/2" rest then it would probably be the most used of the lot.

AlanZ

I wound up ordering the tool rest from BestWoodTools.

Let's see how it works out. I might make some of my own rests to fit their tool post.

Thanks for all your input.

marcruby

I use the best woods rests for bowls but I wish the steel was a bit harder. Inevitably I buy a new tool and forget to smooth the corners and put yet another nick in the rest. The other thing I don;t like about those rests is that, on a larger lathe, they won't always go all the way into the center for a pen. For that I use an old 3" Jet that is bent at an angle.

I've used the robust rests on another lathe and they are noticably better than enything else I've used.

Marc

AlanZ

Yes, I did like the design of the Robust rest (and the modified version) but I thought I'd give this a try first... especially if I decide to alternate between different tool rests on the same tool post (something that the Robust doesn't offer).

Hey, this is my first shot at it... it might work for me, or like many others, this might be just the beginning of the quest for tool rest bliss.

Top Bottom