Small set up for casting blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobC2951

I'm looking to maybe get started in casting some blanks. Couple of things make me need to get a small setup. First - shop size. Second - Not ever going to cast more than 4 at a time. What recommendations are there for a small setup - say 1 gallon? Is there even such a thing?

Kenny Durrant

The smallest pressure pot I've run across is 2 gallons. You'll need an air compressor. I've used the small ones with no problems. I also have a small toaster oven to warm the molds and a candle warmer to warm the resin. I work out of a spare bedroom so you shouldn't need a lot of space. Depending on the resin you use odor will need to be addressed. You also might need a small scale depending on the type of resin. There are several different types and styles of molds so it depends on how much you want to spend and how long you want them to last. Have fun. I think it's another hobby in itself. I enjoy it probably more than turning.

anthonyd

Zac Higgins has many videos on resin casting, molds, and converting paint pots to pressure pots. Here is a link to one of his videos.
Jake Thompson also has some great videos.

JohnU

Casting setups are one of those things that grow as you go. You start with enough to get your feet wet and get you through a few pours and then you find yourself collecting all sorts of objects, molds and things to try more. Back in 2008 I decided I just wanted to make myself a few blanks to turn and it's now my full time job. Lol.
If yiu Start small, get to know your resin and tools, keep it simple, and keep notes, you'll do just fine.

If you're available in April to attend the MPG in IL, you should check it out. We always have several demos on casting and there are plenty of people there, who do it, to ask questions.

Top Bottom