Small Gold/brass letters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

I had an idea of casting a pen with a person's name or initials in it. I am looking for small letters to do so. Anyone know where I could find some? Also is there a way to instead of bond the letters to the pen tubes somehow create a way to have them "float" in the
p r?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarheaded

I don't know where to find the letters , but if you can find them, let us know. the way to make them appear to be floating is to turn a blank down as far as you can without hitting the tube, then CA the letters to the resin and recast it again. This should make the letters float.

MikeHelvey

One thing I've done on wood pens is to engrave the name...then finish the pen (really a second finish) with CA until it is smooth and it looks like the letters are cast into the blank. I'm sure the same would work, maybe better, with arcrylic blanks, but then you'd have to CA them as well.

Mike

Jarheaded

If you take my idea and Mikes idea together, you have it. Turn the casting down, inlay the letters, and recast. You now have floating letters. I may even give this one a try.

I think I have a source for 24kt gold letters, but the info is at work.
I really don't want to go in today so I'll look it up on Monday.:D

If what I'm thinking is correct, it should work great for pens.

Edit In:</u>

How tall a letter do you think might work?

Jarheaded

Ron, What do you mean you don't want to go into work? Saturday is a great day to work, especially if it is for the benifit of so many others, like us.:D I would go into work today if I didn't do something silly like retire.[}:)]:) Well it looks like we may have to wait approx.2880 more minutes to find out if you have the information that we seek. :) I guess we will just have to sit and wait.......................[}:)]...............

bitshird

Originally posted by Daddy1

I had an idea of casting a pen with a person's name or initials in it. I am looking for small letters to do so. Anyone know where I could find some? Also is there a way to instead of bond the letters to the pen tubes somehow create a way to have them "float" in the
p r?
Kevin;
I could cut the letters out of .020 brass shim stock on my CNC mill, could do either seperate letters or do the name with the letters connected either in a vertical format or horizontal format,I have close to 2000 fonts, The brass should be easy to form over the tubes with a thin layer of PR for the floating effect,

GoodTurns

Ken-
you might want to float this in the classifieds...I bet many would be interested...like me, for instance! If you knew you could set up a 500 or so alphabet run, it could make it more affordable for us groupies.

low_48

Any laser guy could cut veneer, or acrylic letters for you. Not the gold you wanted, but maybe something else for you to consider. How about using metalized paint on the veneer. Just thinking outloud.

bitshird

Originally posted by low_48

Any laser guy could cut veneer, or acrylic letters for you. Not the gold you wanted, but maybe something else for you to consider. How about using metalized paint on the veneer. Just thinking outloud.
They could possibly laser cut the letters from a metallic foil!! it would conform to shape much easier.
I'm going to try and CNC some letters, as soon as I figure whether I need to scratch my watch or wind my rear end... some day I hope to turn a pen again, I just got some more over priced wood and the weather is nice for a change, NO TORNADOES

Daddy1

Ken,

The best would be to have a set of all the letters of the alphabet with numbers 1-10 and 4 of each vowel. This would be ideal and I agree, this would be a very welcomed product. Is the brass thin enough to bend to confirm to the tube? That would be the best.

Here's an idea--Since it was my idea....you make me a few sets and I will try them out and then any and all profit you make from that is yours.

I will be your best salesman.
This could turn into a nice money maker for ya.

jttheclockman

[/quote] I'm going to try and CNC some letters, as soon as I figure whether I need to scratch my watch or wind my rear end... [/quote]

That was a great line. Laughed my a-- off. Boy can I relate to that.

Top Bottom