Slowly starting up again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MPVic

MPVic

It's been quite a while since I posted so here's my first cigar kit. Blank is from Rockler - my first attempt at back painting the blank using white enamel. IMG_2973.jpgIMG_2976.jpgIMG_2977.jpgIMG_2974.jpg
Question: The 1st pic shows a nice straight light reflection, but in the rest of the pics the reflection lines have a ripple. I was wondering if the barrels were perfectly straight & checked with a straight metal edge. Would appreciate any comments.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

Beautiful work! I really like the blank you used.

As for the reflection, that can only be caused by variations in the surface. I am still very new to this and still learning how to make a perfectly straight cut with lathe tools.

Until then, when I start getting close to the bushings I use a sanding block to touch the pen and it will highlight the high spots, I then clean up with my skew.

Sometimes I still cant get it right and part of the finishing process is using a sanding block until it is even, then remove the scratches and continue with my normal finishing routine.

Obviously this only works with blanks which are intended to be level.

MRDucks2

Nice. I expect that is one of those blanks that looks amazing turned and on a pen but when looking at the raw blank you kind of wonder.

Top Bottom