Slow fade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

My wife and I are sliding into retirement, so we are downsizing our house and have to downsize our lifestyle as well. So the new house will not have any place that a shop will fit that won't disturb the neighbors with the sound. So I am reluctantly deciding to liquidate my pen turning. I have a thread in the the sales area where I will be posting things as I make an inventory. Already have a buyer for the lathe and dust collection. Sure enough the wife wants "Just three more" pens before they go. Which is probably this Saturday. ***sigh***

Anyway, I am going to miss the hobby. Probably will hang out here for the future, just because y'all are such great peoples.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I understand your situation and the logic of your decision. Maybe there is a community workshop? Several communities here do have a lathe in a senior center community shop.

However, best of wishes for you.

egnald

I feel your pain. I will most likely be struggling with the same situation about a year from now. I'm retired already and we will be downsizing and moving within the next year or so. It's doubtful that I will be able to have a shop in our new digs, but I haven't ruled it out completely yet. Maybe you can hook up with the American Association Of Woodturners up in St. Paul or find another group that has the equipment needed to make a pen or twelve in the future. Wishing you all the best. - Dave

Alan Morrison

All the best with your retirement and the move, Brian.
I hope that you meet someone who would like to share his workshop with you.

Alan

NGLJ

We had downsized to a 1100 sq ft condo from a 3000 sq ft home, same reason as most folks. Then my wife said "I miss my garden and a window box is simply not the same". As we all know we must listen to SWMBO! Also, I was already missing my small basement workshop (6' x 10'). So, off we go looking for a townhouse with a basement where hopefully we could get a small garden and my workshop. After much exhaustive searching we bought a 2 level with full below ground basement giving 3500 sq ft of livable space. My wife got a decent sized garden and I got a 12'x 17' workshop in the basement. We didn't set out to upsize from our single family home. Having spent the last 15 yrs gradually improving my shop I am sure glad that we made the choice, and so is SWMBO which is most important of all ☺️.

jttheclockman

My wife and I are sliding into retirement, so we are downsizing our house and have to downsize our lifestyle as well. So the new house will not have any place that a shop will fit that won't disturb the neighbors with the sound. So I am reluctantly deciding to liquidate my pen turning. I have a thread in the the sales area where I will be posting things as I make an inventory. Already have a buyer for the lathe and dust collection. Sure enough the wife wants "Just three more" pens before they go. Which is probably this Saturday. ***sigh***

Anyway, I am going to miss the hobby. Probably will hang out here for the future, just because y'all are such great peoples.
So you give up your love of a hobby to move into a retirement home that you can not make noise,does not sound like a place I want to be. There has to be some options out there. If I am not making something the last day on earth then it was not a good ending. I could not do it for anything. A lathe is very quiet. A vacuum is quiet. Just have to clean up more often. Maybe they do not allow vacuums. A bandsaw is quiet. Nothing is that loud in pen making that you are breaking the sound barrier. Just saying think this through.

WriteON

So you give up your love of a hobby to move into a retirement home that you can not make noise,does not sound like a place I want to be. There has to be some options out there. If I am not making something the last day on earth then it was not a good ending. I could not do it for anything. A lathe is very quiet. A vacuum is quiet. Just have to clean up more often. Maybe they do not allow vacuums. A bandsaw is quiet. Nothing is that loud in pen making that you are breaking the sound barrier. Just saying think this through.
I would hate to give up my stereo that I enjoy blasting. My pool table and of course The Shop. We upgraded to enjoy more of what we like to do. Our "other house" has the lathe/equipment in a small closet and it works. However I commend the OP for doing what has to be done. But nothing is ever "over". A small compact setup can be established. Festool dust collectors are expensive but quieter that most units. Or as said find a club if possible. Good Luck & Good Traveling to pshrynk

Last edited:

TDahl

I know a couple people who used mini storage rental units to set up small shops. It seemed to provide a solution to not giving up the shop while downsizing.

KenB259

This thread is disparaging to me. The last few years I have been buying tools , wood, equipment, that I may not be able to easily afford once I retire. Trying to have a well equipped shop, anticipating the rapidly approaching day I retire. I am the same age as the OP. My wife is doing the same with her hobby. Are we fooling ourselves? I certainly hope not.

pshrynk

This thread is disparaging to me. The last few years I have been buying tools , wood, equipment, that I may not be able to easily afford once I retire. Trying to have a well equipped shop, anticipating the rapidly approaching day I retire. I am the same age as the OP. My wife is doing the same with her hobby. Are we fooling ourselves? I certainly hope not.
If you are in a home that is workable for you as yo age, then there isn't a problem. My difficulty is that as I age, my joints are screaming and owning a 3 story home with a finished basement and huge yard is no longer viable for me and my wife, so we need to downsize. I wish I'd planned better with my last move and gotten some ranch with a heatable garage where I could have a shop. Now all that is available in this market is the sort of place that the HOA comes around and Discusses Things With You. I am sure I sound a bit bitter, but it's just what God gives us and we have to endure.

monophoto

The year after wife and I got married (50 years ago this summer), we bought our first home from an elderly couple who were moving to a 'retirement community' in Florida. Fred had an old Delta table saw/jointer in the basement that the furnace repair guy had offered to buy from him. But instead, Fred said that he wanted to give the person who bought the house 'first refusal' on the saw/jointer purely to avoid the problem of getting it out of the basement. That was an offer I couldn't refuse!

So 20 years ago, wife and I decided to move to our 'retirement home'. We looked at condominium apartments, but one of the things I put on the list of 'must haves' was basement space for a darkroom and workshop, but nothing offered that kind of space.. So we ended up building a new house - we 'downsized' in that the newer place has fewer rooms, but that's an illusion because it has more square feet of floor space. When we moved, it took four rather burly guys to get that saw/jointer out of the old house and into the new one. And other tools have come along since then including the lathe.

But now I'm facing the situation so many others are in - a time is inevitably coming when we will no longer be able to stay in this house. Our younger son, who lives at home, has no interest in tools or making stuff, and our older son, who might be interested, is semi-retired and living an alternative life style as a nomad traveling around the world with no fixed address. So that presents the challenge of what will happen to my tools when that time comes.

One of my former work colleagues joked that the smart thing to do is plan the future carefully enough that you died before you move out of your retirement home, so that it becomes someone else's problem to clean the basement.

And making it someone else's problem has its advantages. This winter, wife has been going through stacks of pictures that she acquired when she cleaned out her mom's house twenty years ago, and it's been a really painful experience. She has pictures going back more than 100 years - even a few tintypes! Many of the people in those pictures are unidentifiable - presumably they are relatives, but as my wife has no siblings or other close relatives, there is no one who can help - and actually no one who is even interested. So she moves the pictures from one stack to another. She says that she's sorting them out and deciding which to keep and which to dispose of, but it doesn't seem to me that the size of the piles has changed. She has too much emotional attachment.

If it were someone else's problem, the answer would be to park a rolloff in the driveway and just dump everything.

Last edited:

KenB259

If you are in a home that is workable for you as yo age, then there isn't a problem. My difficulty is that as I age, my joints are screaming and owning a 3 story home with a finished basement and huge yard is no longer viable for me and my wife, so we need to downsize. I wish I'd planned better with my last move and gotten some ranch with a heatable garage where I could have a shop. Now all that is available in this market is the sort of place that the HOA comes around and Discusses Things With You. I am sure I sound a bit bitter, but it's just what God gives us and we have to endure.
I hope you didn't take my post as meaning I felt you were making a mistake. Your post just made me, as I'm sure we all do from time to time, think about our own future, plans, health etc. My home was purchased in 2014 with our future somewhat in mind. It's rather small, only 1250 square feet, just the two of us, so it fits us pretty well, a single story ranch. I wish you nothing but the best in where ever you land.

i can sympathize with the OP.... we bought our retirement home in 2002... while I love the place, keeping up the yard is getting to be difficult... we're on nearly an acre with lots of hills... the back yard is actually one large hill that by the time you get to the very back of the lot, you are higher than the house. The front yard is relatively flat, but the side yard also has a rather steep hill down to the road level... mowing is like riding a roller coaster. It getting harder and harder to do the mowing and maintenance on the yard.
The house itself is only about 1200 +/- square feet and just right for the two of us.
I have room out back for a nice little 12x24 ft shop and closest neighbor is about 1000 yards up the hill and says they never hear my shop. My problem is I'm getting older (I'm 80) and spending much time in the shop is getting hard on the old body.... I don't do pens anymore... they don't sell all that well in my area, and plus it's getting difficult to schlepp my booth paraphernalia in and out of a local craft show.... I don't want to give up my shop completely, but can't keep accumulating bowls and pepper mills either. I do have a booth at a local co-op market, but sales are a little slow there as well.

jttheclockman

I too want to say I am not downplaying or discouraging you in any way about your post. But I could not hit the like button on this one for the fact yes we all go through this and I am finding as each year passes I am getting to that point in my life as well. The house we live in now was not suppose to be the retirement home but as life went on and things played out the way they did it surely will be. This is one reason I am in the process of fixing it up for the last time. I am rounding the corner with this part and am about 2 years away to complete. having to watch outgoing funds each year I can only do so much per year. I am also doing some of the finner details myself but finding that to really be a tough task. It is a smaller ranch house and my shop is in the basement. I believe the only one left in my family who will have the knowledge as to what to do with the tools and materials will be my brother who is 6 years younger. I already had this discussion with him as to what to try to do. Now maybe I will wind up in a nursing home or to the point I need constant care within the house but as I said I will not give up my hobbies.

Everyone is different and the decisions to downsize is possible. But to completely give up what you love doing to now sit on a couch is not the answer. There has to be some compromise. That is why I say look at all avenues before you sell off all tools. You spent so much time accumulating what you have and funds to just give it all up. That is my only point of writing to this thread. Hope you have many more years at your hobby.

farmer

Hey hey hey ,, you guys stop your cussing . Retirement home ,, my as well ask me to bend over .
I thought about it once ,,, was the worse ten seconds of my life .
I own my home, so I bought a diesel and a 5th wheel and a boat .
As long as I can still hook and tow my 5th wheel then I choose life .
I have a 17 foot fishing boat I pull behind the 5th wheel .
I am a grower too and I hit the road with a 5 gallon bucket full.
Next month and I am gone for a month or two or 12 .
Do a little prospecting, some landscape photography and wildlife photography and lots of fishing.
O Ya going to area 51 just in case ET feels like posing for photo's
Nothing like the wide open spaces .
Me in a retirement apartment wouldn't work,
Cheers

Attachments

• 20200613_135906.jpg
    20200613_135906.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200613_135940.jpg
    20200613_135940.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1650660285661.png