Slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Sorry I couldn't resist. In another thread someone mentioned they "Hated Slimlines" then said the thread was for "Slimline Haters Only" so I thought I'd honor their request and reply here rather than the other thread. I understand the frustration 100%. Been there done that and it will probably happen again. What I don't understand is that most pen turning is basically the same. I know a few have special procedures but most are straight forward. No tendons or special cuts. Therefore a Slimline is just like turning two small Sierras at the same time. I can see your frustration carrying over to any kit. Hang in there it will get better. Please don't take starting this to be mean or hateful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Slim's are the best start for a new tuner. Learning how to assemble, disasemble and repair sets the stage for future turning. Mastering a Slim covers a lot of phases that come up later. They take more talent than most 3/8" kits do. I simply lost the love & patience for now. Good thread Kenny... Have fun and be safe.
Edit: did this last week for a new neighbor... she really appreciated it.

Attachments

• 4D87871B-F7AC-4088-8D81-B1B8BB9233E4.jpeg
    4D87871B-F7AC-4088-8D81-B1B8BB9233E4.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 157

Ironwood

I started with slims, and still turn them now and then, I prefer the thicker barrel that the streamline centreband gives though.
Definitely a good kit to hone skills with.
When I was selling pens I steered clear of them in favour of the one barrel pens which are quicker and easier to make..

leehljp

Member Liaison
I also like the slimlines. Lots of variety in design possible, complicated and simple, difficult and easy.

For me, slimlines are like golf, the more I try to force it, the worse I get; the more relaxed I am the better I get.

Last edited:

walshjp17

Don Ward (Its_virgil) wrote the book on Slimlines - Turning Modified Slimline Pens: Beyond the Basics. Outstanding read and lots of tips and tricks.

magpens

Yeah .... well .... slimlines .... maybe !

Thing about a modified slimline ... you sometimes never even know that it's based on a slimline ... the modifications can be so extreme.

Anybody remember this pen by bluwolf ? . I, as a beginner at the time, never did figure out whether it's based on a slimline. . Anybody know ?

Please check it out ..... https://www.penturners.org/threads/aluminum-acrylic-and-a-homemade-clip.80171/

Last edited:

its_virgil

Yeah .... well .... slimlines .... maybe !

Thing about a modified slimline ... you sometimes never even know that it's based on a slimline ... the modifications can be so extreme.

Anybody remember this pen by bluwolf ? . I, as a beginner at the time, never did figure out whether it's based on a slimline. . Anybody know ?

Please check it out ..... https://www.penturners.org/threads/aluminum-acrylic-and-a-homemade-clip.80171/
I don't think it is. The section, i.e. the "nose cone" is from a baron. Or, it looks like it is. The other pieces seem to be shop made from his description. But, hey, I could be wrong. Great pen either way. I do remember this pen and the one posted made by Jay Pickens.

I used to visit Jay when I passed through Ft. Worth but haven't in a couple of years. I need to give him a shout next time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom