Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rpotthoff

Ok yet another stupid question: came acrossed 8 slimline kits that I bought about 8 years ago, they have two tubes. One small then they other.
Question is: is the smaller of the tubes the top of bottom of the completed pen?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neither tube is real length sensitive, but usually the longer one is the bottom to give the pen a "sleeker" look.

You will insert the transmission farther than usual, measure the amount the refill sticks out until you like it.

magpens

Not a stupid question at all, ... but the answer is ... it all depends ...

That might depend on which brand the kit is. The slimlines I used to make (Berea brand) had both tubes the same length.

rpotthoff

Thanks

Neither tube is real length sensitive, but usually the longer one is the bottom to give the pen a "sleeker" look.

You will insert the transmission farther than usual, measure the amount the refill sticks out until you like it.

Thanks Ed!!

rpotthoff

Thanks

Not a stupid question at all, ... but the answer is ... it all depends ...

That might depend on which brand the kit is. The slimlines I used to make (Berea brand) had both tubes the same length.

Not sure who made it or if it came with a multi pack that my son and I bought when we were just getting started, I will use the smaller tube for the top.

THANKS!!

PenPal

Ok yet another stupid question: came acrossed 8 slimline kits that I bought about 8 years ago, they have two tubes. One small then they other.
Question is: is the smaller of the tubes the top of bottom of the completed pen?

Thanks.

If any doubt use the longer one for the lower half of these two,then check it first against the other kits.

Peter.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The first time I saw that configuration was the "Father Sing" pen from CSUSA. At the MPG, Father (Dick) Sing explained that he thought the pen should look more like the "Mont Blanc" pen kit (now called the Euro, after MontBlanc took exception to using their name.) As you will note, the Euro has a longer lower tube.

Lots of information about the history of pen kits at the MPG!!!

rpotthoff

First of 8

I like the idea of how that might look. please be sure to put up a picture when you have one complete. I may have to do some innovation with spare tubes!

ok here is the first one.
the transmission is set in to the crimp and looks good when opened.

Attachments

• Slimelin1.jpg
    Slimelin1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

BSea

I like the look of Euro's over the standard slimline. I buy euro tubes to make slimlines. I end up with a lot of extra tubes this way, but our local VA has pen turning as an activity, and I use the extra tubes to make blanks for the vets to turn. I know I could buy the 10" tubes & cut them to the length I want, but since I have a use for the extra tubes, there is no need.

Good job on the longer slimline. :good:

Top Bottom