Slimline Quarter Sawed Red Oak ..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thomgarner

thomgarner

I obtained some red oak and planed and ripped it. Then using my miter saw did cross cuts and used the blanks to create this slimline. The pattern of the wood in the light is amazing. The reflections really do not appear as well in the pictures but it is the first pen I have done like this. Your thoughts ...
Pen Kit: Slimline
Wood: Cross cut Red Oak
Finish: Pens Plus - w/ top coat of wax

Slimline Qrt Sawn Red Oak 1 (1).JPG Slimline Qrt Sawn Red Oak 1 (2).JPG Slimline Qrt Sawn Red Oak 1 (3).JPG Slimline Qrt Sawn Red Oak 1 (5).JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Crosscuts highlight pores , rays and early/latewood colour changes and usually look more attractive than straight grain , to me at least . They are a bit more of a challenge to make , but worth it , as you have found out .

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Some may diss woods with open grains, but this is a great example of a beautiful product. Just a bit of effort, and it is wonderful.

Well done.

magpens

Excellent work, Tom !!! . The result is very beautiful !! . Wish I could see the pen in real life ... the way the wood was originally cut sure seems to make a big difference to the appearance of the resulting pen !

Thanks for showing ... to me, this has been a good lesson in creativity and thinking "outside the box" !

Top Bottom