Slimline Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I need some thoughts from others about the SL contest. I've asked Rich, Pat and Jay to be the judges for this and Rich asked a few questions that I think are important. One of these was about anonymity of the makers. I think this would be useful since some people do seem to have some "baggage" associated with them. He also said it would probably more fair if the photos were all available to the judges at once rather than as they come in. I'm not crazy about that one because I'm sure people want to see them sooner rather than later but I also don't want people commenting on them. I can have the photos all sent to me and I can catalog them and then post them somewhere that doesn't allow for comments. So, the question is what's the best "somewhere"? A separate thread that only I can post to or an album? Personally, I lean toward the idea of a thread so we can see how many hits it gets.

I also just now thought that it might be nice to have a "member's choice" award. I'm not sure how the voting would work though. Any thoughts about that?

Gerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

I know and respect Rich, Pat, and Jay and know they comment here (very rarely). Because they are "limited" members, I honestly would prefer to have other judges who use the IAP as their primary site. This is the IAP and our celebration is for this site. I think there might be some backlash if we bring in the three primary people of the YAHOO site as our judges. Sounds really kinda contradictory.

I'm not trying to start a debate, just stating that I am probably not the only person here who feels that way.

gerryr

Bill,
I understand what you're saying and can't say I disagree. Scott suggested that I ask them to do it, so I did. Actually, I've only emailed Rich about it, I don't know if he has mentioned it to Pat and Jay or not. My guess, and I could be wrong, is that Scott recommended them because they were three of the original members of the PMG and are all unlikely to want to enter the contest. The issue now, of course, is how to gracefully back out.[B)]

Assuming that could be done, I'm open to suggestions for judges. My choices would lean toward people that I don't recall seeing post a slimline of any kind. Lou and Bruce Boone are the only two that come to mind immediately, maybe George in Winnepeg or Jim in Oakville to add an "internatonal" flavor.

ilikewood

You could ask the very active PMG members of the IAP. I can think this would be people like Scott, Anthony, Bruce Boone, etc. Most are all active in multiple sites, but selection of highly active IAPers might be our best bet.

I wasn't trying to cause a stir or anything, I just know of many guys that would be rather unsettled with it. This is supposed to be for fun and I would really hate to see politics get involved (and knowing our bunch, it would)[B)]

gerryr

OK, here's what I'm going to do. There isn't any graceful way to retract my asking them to do this. So, assuming that they agree and Rich has only agreed "in principle" I don't plan to reveal who the judges are, even after the contest is over. They will only be referred to as well respected pen turners. Nobody can complain about that, well they might but it shouldn't turn into a nuclear holocaust.

So, back to my original question, where do I post the pictures of entries? My own preference is a forum for the contest, but it should be consistent with what Scott does for his contest.

ilikewood

Great idea Gerry! There should be a forum where you can post the picts (anonymous) and let the people decide a IAP winner as well. I think that is the same idea you were trying to present, but I had to state it with my own fingers to make myself understand too.:)

gerryr

Bill,
You got it. That's what I want to do, but I don't know how to let people vote, once only, and not have the ongoing results public. I don't even know if it can be done. I suppose people could email me their vote but I'm not sure how many would.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but there is no means for anonymous posting, and the only voting that can be done on short notice is a regular poll. (By short notice I mean that I do have voting software, but it need to be configured for the vote and tested and unfortunately there is no time to do that...)

gerryr

Jeff,
I was not at all certain that a "viewer's choice" vote could be done, it was only a thought. If it seems that people want to do that, they will have to email me their vote.

Top Bottom