Slimline Contest Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I think this is better.

The Slimline Pen Contest

OK, this is a serious contest. Scott’s running the non-serious contest so if you’re inclined in the direction of sick and disgusting objects that no self-respecting lathe would claim, you should probably head over there. Rude comments about the pens are not allowed here, but welcomed and even encouraged over there.

This is a contest for those who are trying to create a finely crafted lowly slimline. Any and all variants of the basic slimline kit can be used: softgrip, KC Twist, Father Sing, regular slimline pen and/or pencil, teacher’s pens, mini pens, etc. In other words, any kit that uses a standard Cross transmission. You can make it straight or modified as much as you want, but it must still look like a pen and be capable of writing.

Here are the complete rules.

1. You must use at least two parts from a slimline kit, not including the refill, and the pen must be useable. The Cross transmission counts as a part.
2. You can enter a maximum of two pens in the contest.
3. You can’t enter the same pen in this contest and the Ugly Pen contest.
4. The background for the photographs must be plain white, beige, or light gray.
5. The judgment of the judges will be final.
6. The judges are highly respected penturners who will remain anonymous.
7. All entries must be submitted by January 24. Photos are to be emailed to slimline at penturners dot org. I will post the pens, but comments on the pens will not be allowed and the maker will be known only to me.
8. The winners will be announced on January 31 in the following categories.

Best normal slimline
Best modified slimline
Most modified slimline

So, go get busy and let’s see some eye-popping pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Yea, I know those are crummy little refills, but they still use a Cross transmission. I changed the wording of the rules a bit.

gerryr

For anyone who might do this in the future, I recommend adding the following:

Collaborations are not allowed.
The contest specifically excludes the use of 7mm Euro kits.

ilikewood

Last I heard, a 7mm Euro is NOT a slimline. Maybe I am a purist, but these are two different kits that use some similar parts. The tubes of a slimline are equal in length and in the Euro they are not. The end cap is different, the nib is different, AND the centerband is different and requires a different turning technique.

Just because the transmission and one tube are the same, a slimline kit it does not make! Sorry Gerry, but I'd tell those guys who are complaining that if they want to use a Euro kit, they can only use the parts that are the same as a slimline (that would be one tube and the transmission).[}:)]

Top Bottom