slimline amboyna burl set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edstreet

Status
Not open for further replies.

edstreet

I finished this one recently and it's all super good looking. It's Amboyna burl (my favorite wood now) The request was for a satin finish andI did a CA finish.

This is before.
IMG_4964.JPG

and this is after
IMG_4992.JPG

Now if I could only make boxes like that I would be super happy. Dont suppose anyone here does make boxes like this and know what type of equipment I would need?

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Thats a sweet set Ed. If you want to make boxes, you really have to make a lot of them to make it worth your while. The box itself is easy to make. If you are really interested, send me an email and I will give you an idea or two.

JimBobTucson

Very nice set Ed.

I started out in woodworking, a hundred years ago or so, making jewelery boxes and such. Even so, I do not make my own pen boxes. The time, cost, and effort, just is not worth it when so many vendors are selling fairly good quality boxes so cheaply.

If you do have a special need for a pen box, to match the wood on a pen or something like that. I would be happy to help you out as well. See examples below. PM me if you would like to chat...

BTW: Where/What type of kit did you use? That is a handsome styled slimline kit.

2008117171229_boxes.jpg
<br />
200811717115_PenDisplay001_edited_320x315.jpg
<br />
200811717358_PenDisplay004_320x240.jpg
<br />

edstreet

This is the black titanium slimline from pennstate.

The biggest problem with the pen boxes is the larger sized pens i.e. gents/statesman. Esp when you want style A but it's only available in one size.

Ed

txbatons

That's a great looking set, Ed. I haven't tried that type of wood yet, but saw some listed in the classifieds.

JB and Gary...I'd be interested in box making too. PMs to follow.

JimBobTucson

Ed,

Agreed, the larger pens (Gents, Statesmen, etc.) do not fit in most of the wood pen boxes available. Lately I have been using the AZSil.'s large pen boxes (like http://www.arizonasilhouetteinc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87&products_id=454) with their own custom inserts made to fit most pens out there. It looks like you might have used the same thing with your set.

But, there are a number of us that can/do make boxes. We will be happy to point you in the right direction (depending how your shop is equipped). If you PM me, I will be happy to chat with you (and not crowd up your post).

IMHO - Many times, the cost of just the high quality hinges exceed to cost of a good vendor box, so it is really only viable for the higher end pens.

Mather323

That is a great set and think it goes great with the black titanium. Those are some of the nicest slimlines I have seen.[:D] Were did you get the information on the wood to put in the pen box it make a nice touch. Mike

edstreet

Originally posted by Mather323
<br />That is a great set and think it goes great with the black titanium. Those are some of the nicest slimlines I have seen.[:D] Were did you get the information on the wood to put in the pen box it make a nice touch. Mike

I dug around the net and found many sources of info on various wood then put it into the condensed tag you see. The tag I made in excel and just cut each section out.

amboyna+burl.jpg

In case you want to read all the info I put on the tag.

Ed

JimBobTucson

Great idea on the Wood ID cards. That must of took some time to put together. PSI offers something simular, but no where near as detailed, and they only have it for 12 different species.

For some reason your card reminds me of a Monopoly Property card. [:)]

edstreet

Yea I see now it is a monopoly property card! I thought it looked something something I knew but could not figure out what, now I know!

Yes the pen came with the engraving on the clip.

IMG_4973.JPG

Rick_G

Table saw and a router will let you make those boxes. Unless you live in Canada there are lots of places to buy them much cheaper. Haven't found any in Canada yer. AZ does not ship to Canada. Probably one to many orders refused after UPS hit them with a $60 processing fee on a $40 order.[:(] Good looking pens. Haven't seen that kit here yet.

simomatra

Very nice set you have done the blanks proud.

Its a shame but boxes are much cheaper to source than make

Like the way you present the pen with some information I usually use the Avery leather grain business cards

Cheers sam

edstreet

Have a source for those leather grain cards? I did some looking and nothing came up. I have been considering getting over sized biz cards made up, one side with the wood info and the other side a logo or emblem for/about me.

Ed

JimBobTucson

Leather Cards

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUSINESS-CARDS-500-White-Leather-Paper-Card-Stock_W0QQitemZ160199059551QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom