Slim Silver Serfer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This pen started life as a 5/16" Sterling Silver tube used by Silversmiths to make stems for, what else, Silver Stemware. It is hand ingraved in a wave pattern that reflects light in all directions. Being an odd size, I had to make or redo spare parts to slip fit in the tubes from brass. There is no need for a finish on this pen, as the cut Silver shines like diamonds when struck by the light. A photo does no justice to this pen like turning it in your hands will. Silver tubes are 0.10 oz. Wish I knew enough about PCs to do a rotating video of it. This pen is actualy thinner than a Slimline. First bad photo shows parts before assembly. C/C always welcome. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0062 (800x294).jpg
    DSCF0062 (800x294).jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCF0063 (800x465).jpg
    DSCF0063 (800x465).jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF0064 (662x800).jpg
    DSCF0064 (662x800).jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF0065 (800x434).jpg
    DSCF0065 (800x434).jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

That is Glorious Jim.
I love the Silver Tube Blank, and the way you maintained, the Scallops, either side of the Centre Band, Brilliant.
About the highest compliment I can think of, is "It looks like a Bought One".
Everything fits together Perfectly, just like it was Designed that way.
Great Work, and an Adorable Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

plantman

That must have taken some time! Looks great.

Thanks Mike !! I have carved eggs for over 20 years and have adapted many of the methods used there for pen making. First thing I do is make a paper pattern the size of my tube. Lay it out flat and deside how many segments and lines will look good for the space you have. draw your guide lines and the pattern you want to add on the paper. Roll your pattern onto the tube to see if it needs any changes. Take a piece of carbon paper (carbon side up) and retrace your pattern, leaving the carbon copy on the back side of your paper. Roll it back over the tube again, tape together, and rub the carbon onto your tube or blank. Many times if I am making a repeat pattern, I will cut out a thin metal flashing template to keep everything straight and even. Best tip is to not work to long at one time. Your hand can cramp, or your eyes can get fatigued and you make mistakes. Jim S

plantman

That is Glorious Jim.
I love the Silver Tube Blank, and the way you maintained, the Scallops, either side of the Centre Band, Brilliant.
About the highest compliment I can think of, is "It looks like a Bought One".
Everything fits together Perfectly, just like it was Designed that way.
Great Work, and an Adorable Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks Brian : If you purchase this pen, it will be a bought one or a sold one depending how you look at it. It is a slight copy of a pen that I saw at an auction house in Atlanta GA. Of course it does not have the diamond clip or solid gold fittings that that one had. Jim S

Top Bottom