Slim Line Pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Your definitely not alone. Last one I made ended up getting launched across the shop. Both barrels split when I tried to press the parts together. I switched to Trim lines after that.

Launch or step on. Tough choice.

Launch in my case. I like to see if I can stick them to the wall. About 35 years ago I was laying brick for a flower bed and couldn't get one brick level. I ended up launching the level over the back fence into a big field of weeds. Took me three hours to find it. Same brick flower bed the next day got me so mad I launched the hammer across the yard and it hit my wifes favorite flower pot. I guess I'm a slow learner and after laying probably close to 2,000 bricks I refuse to lay anymore.

dogcatcher

Anybody out in this great field of pen makers who like the 1000 different ways you can make a beautiful slim?
Odd man out, I like them, usually made about 50 to 75 a year. Wood blanks only, turned slim like the Cross pen that they are designed after. One year I made 75 of them for a reunion. The following reunion I made the brass bullet pens using the Slimline basis.

WriteON

Anybody out in this great field of pen makers who like the 1000 different ways you can make a beautiful slim?
1001 different ways. Slimmies are a great value. They are a great teacher to beginners. I have a nice collection. What burns my rear end (other than a 2 foot fire) is I assembled one today and upper body did not capture the twist...it is too loose. Cannot retract/advance. I worked it but do not feel like working things out. I spent a lot of time sanding finishing. From now on I'm staying in LAUNCH MODE

WriteON

THIS THREAD IS FOR SLIM LINE HATERS ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S OVER

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

WriteON

Today April 7th (I think). I will release some tension. I will combat Cabin Fever. Today is Trash a SlimLine Day. I'm committed to Lauch, Destroy, Intentionally blow out a Slimmer. I'm committed to cleaning house. No Slim's Welcome

Attachments

• 120207E4-D224-4B12-9FED-D8BF04F93E78.jpeg
    120207E4-D224-4B12-9FED-D8BF04F93E78.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 141

mick

Just having a bad time with one. Tied me up for too long. Can make 2-3 single barrel pens in less time. Lost the love before. Just confirmed it
Frank, we're not in a race. Personally I do this to relax, not see how many I can make in an hour. Yes I need inventory for shows but if I rush through a pen, be it a slimline or an Emperor, my customer isn't getting my best. I spend as much time finishing an inexpensive pen as I do a top end one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mick

1001 different ways. Slimmies are a great value. They are a great teacher to beginners. I have a nice collection. What burns my rear end (other than a 2 foot fire) is I assembled one today and upper body did not capture the twist...it is too loose. Cannot retract/advance. I worked it but do not feel like working things out. I spent a lot of time sanding finishing. From now on I'm staying in LAUNCH MODE
I dimple my transmissions(from the inside) in 3 places around the open end. This makes it a little harder to pull the pen apart but also gives more grip when twisting to open or close.

WriteON

I dimple my transmissions(from the inside) in 3 places around the open end. This makes it a little harder to pull the pen apart but also gives more grip when twisting to open or close.

Ok thanks. I had the same problem today. I think the barrel trimming shaft is killing the brass tube walls. Will replace. It might be distorted. How do you dimple? Dremel with a small ball burr?

mick

Ok thanks. I had the same problem today. I think the barrel trimming shaft is killing the brass tube walls. Will replace. It might be distorted. How do you dimple? Dremel with a small ball burr?
I use my smallest transfer punch...twist the transmission like you were extending the refill all the way out. Then I angle my punch in and tap it with my tack hammer. I usually put 3 spaced evenly around the throat of the transmission.

mick

Maybe this will explain. Hope you can tell from my crappy picture.
877c809efcedeccd97102928a748dee4.jpg

WriteON

Maybe this will explain. Hope you can tell from my crappy picture.
877c809efcedeccd97102928a748dee4.jpg

Thanks. Great tip. I roughed the surface and applied a few dots of CA to add dimension. Dimpling is the fix. I like it.
Edit: pictures are perfect.

Last edited:

WriteON

I use my smallest transfer punch...twist the transmission like you were extending the refill all the way out. Then I angle my punch in and tap it with my tack hammer. I usually put 3 spaced evenly around the throat of the transmission.

Worked on a Comfort today... dimpled the twist and we're good. Thanks again for the TOTD (tip of the day). Worked out great. Made the day.

Top Bottom