Skunks!!!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a problem with a skunk in my backyard. He keeps digging up my lawn. I know he is looking for grubs and food. But I spray my yard twice a year for bugs and insects and see no signs of grubs. My question is there a method to get rid of them?? Live in NJ so no guns allowed. I would hate to try to trap him. Anything to put on lawn to deter them?? Anyone else have this problem??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, we have a similar problem with badgers. Some mornings we get up to see loads of deep divets in the lawn. We are currently using a product called Jeyes Fluid. It doesn't last for ever but can get them to move on for a while.

randyrls

Ask your neighbors if they want the skunk gone??? A 410 doesn't make much noise, A BB gun will persuade the skunk to go elsewhere.

Mix food with a sedative, put skunk in bag, take to remote area and release.

EricRN

If you have a neighbor with a dog, bring the dog around to pee around your yard. Or get some coyote urine online and spray hag around.

jttheclockman

John, we have a similar problem with badgers. Some mornings we get up to see loads of deep divets in the lawn. We are currently using a product called Jeyes Fluid. It doesn't last for ever but can get them to move on for a while.

Hey Skip I looked that stuff up and it looks like a cleaning fluid if I got the right stuff. I do not want to give him a bath. :) I chased him 3 times last night and he must have returned and been pissed off when I finally went to sleep last night because he really did a number on the yard. I have to get some top soil and plant some seed. Also have to pick up some motion sensored spot lights. The motion sensored lights I have in the back yard now are just lights to brighten walkway. I have seen those sprinkler things advertised. Maybe something to look at too. Had this a couple years ago and he left. Last year nothing. This year he is a destroyer.

DrD

Contact your state department of natural resources or wildlife and fisheries - goes by different name state to state. They will send someone out to live trap the critter and move it to a remote location. I wouldn't recommend trying to handle the critter yourself. You could get seriously hurt.

TonyL

I have recently researched those ultra sonic pest/rodent deterrents (solar powered). Two of my fiends swear by them. I don't know if they would be effective against skunks.

I've heard that flaked moth balls sprinkled on the lawn will keep them away. Any that show up around my place die from lead poisoning but I live in a different state. If you do live self trap be sure to approach the trap with a tarp so they can't see you. If you cover the trap they usually won't spray and you can transport them somewhere else. Also, if they do spray you a Tomato juice bath will get the stink off, that's provided you're wife will let you in the house.

jimmyz

We had a problem with raccoons doing the same thing. Ended up using a trap, which is not a good option
for a skunk. I know it creates a lot of work to fix the yard. Good luck on finding a solution.

I use a live trap every year - one year we caught 12 different skunks! Use a empty can of cat food or most any other smelly trash for bait. After you catch one, if your animal control doesn't want it, SLOWLY approach the trap with a tarp or solid color drop cloth held up in front of you to your eye level. Approach the trap from the side and SLOWLY lower the tarp completely over the trap. Works every time for me. I them grab the handle of the trap through the tarp and place it in the back of my truck and take it miles away (unless you know someone you really don't like!). Put the trap on the ground away from your vehicle and from behind the trap, open the door SLOWLY. They usually just saunter on out. I had one run back behind me and get under the truck, but it left soon after. Good Luck!

JonathanF1968

I once trapped a skunk in a Have-a-Heart trap. Apparently, they don't spray if they can't see your eyes, which goes to what @Swagopenturner was saying. So, I held a sheet between me and the trap, covered it, and then (illegally) took him for a ride to some conservation land a few miles away. It turned out fine! Quite a thrill, driving with a skunk in the trunk. I put a lot of faith in my Internet research, that day.... But I didn't get sprayed.

John Eldeen

John I recently had the same problem with skunks. After some research I found that a line of hot pepper powder sprinkled around the property line stops them from crossing. I was very sceptical but tried it anyway and it worked. I purchased bulk chilly powder from smart and final fairly cheap. Then put it in a cheap fertilizer spreader and got to spreading it around. One word of advice I will pass on is put on your respirator unless you just like having a runny nose and watery eyes.

jttheclockman

I have a call into our health inspector so will see what he has to say. In the mean time I changed my back yard lites to motion sensored spots LED. Man those things are bright. Will see if that deters them. Had to replant some grass today and fix the lawn. Hope he does not start on the front next. There is a street light there so maybe not.

Woodchipper

Fish & game people should be able to help or an animal/pest control business. A friend had skunks in an outbuilding. I told him to throw a handful of mothballs into the building while at a safe distance. No more skunks! BTW, mothball are good for spiders, etc. Saw a guy at a campground put mothballs under his motorcycle trailer and a few inside to keep unwanted critters away.

John I recently had the same problem with skunks. After some research I found that a line of hot pepper powder sprinkled around the property line stops them from crossing. I was very sceptical but tried it anyway and it worked. I purchased bulk chilly powder from smart and final fairly cheap. Then put it in a cheap fertilizer spreader and got to spreading it around. One word of advice I will pass on is put on your respirator unless you just like having a runny nose and watery eyes.

A few years back when we lived in Tucson, we had a Siberian Husky that kept tearing up and chewing on my outdoor lights... someone suggested using red pepper on them to stop her.... She like it....

Curly

We had a fox den here a few years ago. Called Conservation to see if they would come and relocate them. They said no, they are considered a pest and if they caught and transferred them they would just be moving the problem to someone else. If they came they would just destroy them. We left them be.
John hopefully the stinkers move on soon.

bsshog40

A BB gun worked for the last skunk that roamed around our house. One hit and they run for the hills. Skunks are very smart creatures and I do believe he remembered what happened at our house because it never came back. And I know I didn't hit a vital organ, I shoot'em in the butt. Lol

Top Bottom