SKM192 Mechanism Housing - Tap or Something Else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamfishpens

Hey folks,

Doing research into making kitless clickpens with a complete non-metal exterior. I was hoping to use the SKM-192 mechanism after building kitted pens with it; the click is really smooth and feel like it'll be sturdier.

That all being said, I am trying to figure out how to build the mechanism housing, and getting stuck. My plan was to make a housing that can be screwed into, but, I am not sure my plan of using a M4.2x.50 thread (the thread on SKM-192 is 4.2x.35) would work.

How have folks built housing for that? Did you tap, or relying on something else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

I bought the M4.2x35 from Richard Greenwald, but it is too thin (around M4.0), so the mec does not screw. I must say I stoped my tests then, even if Mal (magpens) was a great help. I would suppose a .50 would not screw neither. One way would be to glue it...

More4dan

I press fit mine into a metal finial, I would glue it into a non-metal material. The threads are extremely fine for plastics.

magpens

Hey Jam,

I bought the correct tap from Richard Greenwald and have used it successfully to mount the SKM-192.

I do recall there being something awkward about how the threaded part is positioned on the body of the SKM-192. . Can't recall the details.

But it does work out OK, possibly requiring some change from the original plan for mounting, but it did work out.

The SKM-192 sure is smooth and (so far) reliable. . I have also used the SKM-88 ... actually more of them than the SKM-192 ... it's great also !!!

More4dan

The mechanism is smooooooth. It makes a quality pen. Use some scrap material to try the threading and make sure you use the correct drill bit. There is little room for error in a 0.35mm thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom