Skips Big Adventure!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

It's a very nice and unusual pen Jeff. BTW i looked and looked at the part I, and as newbie I am I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. However, your part II posting made it clear. I have a QSn though; did you say that it took you 20 min.s to set the skippy? can youexplain how you did it? Is it like inlays. Hey rest of you guys who read this don't laugh, I am the newbie!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Part 1:

I was never able to join in on the fun of Skippy's World Tour because I just don't know about graphics software. So, I am taking on the challenge in a totally different way. I just pulled this blank out from the final pour. It took several pours and although some of what is in the blank is still hidden below layers of resin, this gives ya'll a fun peak at a pen in progress. There is actually 20 pieces just in the head of the rat alone. Hopefully once it's turned he will be emerging from a holey block of cheddar. Been wanting to try this for the longest time, but it took me to now to find some spare time to do so. Perhaps this will be Wisconsin Steve. :biggrin:

Looking forward to the long weekend for some fun time!

You said "There is actually 20 pieces just in the head of the rat alone". I still couldn't get wher the peces come form?

workinforwood

Actually Phil..the head is only 19 pieces, then the block of cheese is several more pieces. Each piece is acrylic. Individual pieces of acrylic cut with a scroll saw and then glued back together. The block of cheese is like a triangle that flows right through the pen, but the skip rat is only on one side of the pen poking out one hole of the cheese. If for some reason the pen was to suffer a scratch, then the pen could be sanded and buffed back to original condition and nothing would change, because it is not paint on a surface, but rather a deep set image.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't think that my real head has as many as 19 pieces:biggrin: In fact, if you ask my dear wife, she will tell you that it is one solid concrete block. I think that is a good thing, but I'm not sure:biggrin:

cnirenberg

Jeff,
The pen came out fantastic. Too cool. I would say you have too much time on your hands, but this looks like a piece of cake (cheese) for you. I love it.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Aaaargh!!!! I must have been gone for less than five minutes when the postman came. :mad:

Jeff, my missus called to say there was a package from you.

I told her to open it and have a look cos I won't be back till Wed night.

Wanna know what she said??????:redface:

Quote ...' Oooooooooooooooh !!! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice !!!!!! Is this guy Jeff married?' :eek::eek:

Thanks Jeff, I can't wait to see the pen in person!!!:biggrin:

JohnU

Jeff that pen is Over The Top! Awesome Job on everything! Your talent is so inspiring. I got a couple of your new blanks the other day. Both have already been claimed. Cant wait to turn them. As ALWAYS... nice work!

Skip, Congrats on your pen!

Marleb

Jeff,

I've said it ever since I saw your work on the Scroll saw forum: You are an artist! And you keep proving me right time and again, thanks.

Keep up the nice work buddy.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yahoo!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Just WAY too cool Jeff!!! And the other blanks are even better than the first bunch too!!!:biggrin: All that practice is starting to pay off.:tongue:

I took another pic, but I don't think it's any better than your one. I'll try again on the weekend and do an outdoor shot if this rain ever stops:mad:
I don't think any pic is going to show how cool and perfectly made this pen is. This is one of those that need to be seen in 3D to really appreciate.

Thanks again Jeff, you are a star!!!!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• Skiprat.jpg
    Skiprat.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 135

workinforwood

That is not too bad a pic though Steve. It certainly reduced the reflection line that I have through the rat. Glad you like it. Nobody else has one but you, and although it's a tiny bit bulky, it's should be able to handle daily abuse just as good as any kit pen.

Top Bottom