Skips Big Adventure!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Part 1:

I was never able to join in on the fun of Skippy's World Tour because I just don't know about graphics software. So, I am taking on the challenge in a totally different way. I just pulled this blank out from the final pour. It took several pours and although some of what is in the blank is still hidden below layers of resin, this gives ya'll a fun peak at a pen in progress. There is actually 20 pieces just in the head of the rat alone. Hopefully once it's turned he will be emerging from a holey block of cheddar. Been wanting to try this for the longest time, but it took me to now to find some spare time to do so. Perhaps this will be Wisconsin Steve. :biggrin:

Looking forward to the long weekend for some fun time!

Attachments

• skippy1.jpg
    skippy1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 633

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OMG!!!! You are nuttier than a squirrels breakfast, you know that!!!???:biggrin:
Absolutely bonkers!!!:tongue:

I sure am looking forward to seeing what Part II looks like and sincerely hope you made more than just the one:wink: and that I can get hold of another one other than from Wisconsin!!!
I know that Ratty has left Wisconsin, but I reckon that delay was the beginning of the end.:frown: Maybe this can resurrect him???:confused::wink::biggrin:

LOL !!!! Barking mad!!!! But just too damned cool too!!!!:biggrin:

bgibb42

That looks pretty cool. I'm itching to see the rest of the blank. But, what happened to his whiskers?:confused::tongue::)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This is not a production blank Steve. This is an all or nothing shot. You don't truly have a big ego until you have a pen with your own picture on it! :laugh:

LOL!!! If you make a pen out of that, then I'm gonna have to commission you to make another one!!! My ego is alive and kicking and my good buddy Mr Bruce Robbins even made a Stirling Silver clip for me. Up till now, I've used it as a lapel badge for the rare occassion that I wear a suit, but you have to admit that with a blank like that, combined with his clip, then it would REALLY make my head big!!!:biggrin:

C'mon, be a sport and make one more................pretty please!!!!:tongue::biggrin:

You know that I'd make one for you but I don't think they make blanks big enough:tongue:

Attachments

• Ratty2.jpg
    Ratty2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 177

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I just can't find the words to describe how cool I think that blank is!!! You are awesome Jeff!

workinforwood

There be whiskers, but they are not visible yet. There are several things on the blank that can't be seen because they are covered over with resin.
I think that clip is great and I've seen it before but I think it is too much to have two skippy's on one pen.

I want to see a pen too, but I've been swamped at work. I finished working on this and poured it way early this morning before I went to work. Tomorrow is going to be a super long day and Friday is an average day, so I can do nothing till this weekend, but then I have 3 days to play. Ya'll just have to sit, wait and wonder.

Steve always said..if I want a Skippy pen I have to make my own.

I gotta fix that eyeball too..the black is not equal on both eyes....no big problem. The eyes and mouth were quite a challenge..heck the pupils are probably 1/16x3/16

Last edited:

mrburls

Jeff, I would have thought you had too much free time on your hands to make a blank like that. Looks and sounds like this is going to be one awesome pen when finished. If anyone could pull it off it would be you.

Keith "mrburls"

Rfturner

Very nice I can see that you put alot of time into the blank good job, for box it could be made to look like swiss cheese as well

workinforwood

Part 2....my Skippy Pen! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was able to spin some guts and drill and mount the blank yesterday afternoon, then finish the pen this morning. I absolutely love it. Makes me smile ear to ear to have pulled it off like this! I love the shape, proportions and weight. I am not crazy about the girth aspect of the pen though. It is just a little bulky for my average sized hands, but the Rat is 7/16 wide, which is 1/16 wider than I would normally dare to go, yet I could not get him to be any smaller with that many pieces in him. I was really pushing it close to overspinning him. Fortunately I nailed the drill hole dead center. I wouldn't use a pen like this as a daily writer anyhow..it's just an ego showpiece. :biggrin:

Hope you guys find this as funny as I do!

This pen is Alumilite, Aluminum, Parker refill with double twist tranny and finial activated, Jr Gent clip, threaded nib to change refill. All segmentation and pentarsia completed using a scroll saw.

Attachments

• skippy1.jpg
    skippy1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 280
  • skippy2.jpg
    skippy2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 290
  • skippy3.jpg
    skippy3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 214

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, you just seem to get better and better!!!!:eek: That is crazy cool!!!!!.:biggrin:

Mmmmmm....I think I'm gonna have to dream up a stainless steel scrolled nut and bolt pen to try and persuade you to trade:rolleyes::tongue:

workinforwood

Nah...you know I'd just give it to you Steve. Heck...the ole lady took it with those blanks to the post office this morning..assuming they are open today. It was fun to do and made me laugh, that's good enough for me.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:eek::eek::eek: Wow!!!! Many many thanks Jeff!!!!:eek::eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But you know that no good deed goes unpunished!!!!:biggrin::wink:

I'm plotting my revenge right now and even have a design sketch done already!!!:cool:

Cool!!! Can't wait!!! BTW, 3 of the Dragon blanks have already been resevered:biggrin:

workinforwood

That's cool but not really necessary Steve. I just wanted to do it to see if I could and because the idea of it seemed really funny to me. I do love joking around! I sent you an extra blank, I mixed extra resin when I poured that batch so you would have an extra one of just the same color swirl in case you needed some more length for anything out of the ordinary like a closed end or whatever. It would be real nice if you would take one of your nice quality pictures of the Skippy pen for me.

Thanks for the great feedback guys! We're all kids till we die.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's cool but not really necessary Steve. ......

LOL Jeff, I know it's not necessary and that's exactly why I'm gonna get my revenge. :tongue:

Of course, I'll post a pic but your's looks pretty good to me.

Now........where did I put those really big nuts and bolts?????:biggrin:

Top Bottom