Skinning the Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
Was playing with new colors on my Dragonhide blanks (PR cast Norway Spruce cones that I make), and wanted to see how the color looked, and also wanted to turn one that uses my improved casting process.

This one's called "Dragonhide - Toxic", bias-drilled to bring some of the core of the cone into the final barrel. I wish that I'd have drilled it off center the other way, so the 'wedge' shape portion of the cone core would've been situated under the clip. I think that would've looked a lot better.

I'm working on a tutorial for turning these things, they're a real pain. Pain to cast, pain to turn, pain to finish, but they come out looking like nothing else when you get them done!

DragonhideToxic1_1.jpg

DragonhideToxic1_2.jpg

Comments, questions and suggestions always welcome! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by toolcrazy

That is really, really cool. I really like it. Do you have any in black? :D

I did a run of black ones "Dragonhide - Cinder" a couple weeks ago, lemme root around on the shelves (and my custom order sheet) and see what I've got left. I've got a bunch of floating orders right now waiting for the new batch of "Dragonhide - Ember" (red ones).

I made a colossal sized botch up on the first pass at casting the red ones for the orders, so I'm way behind now. Had to start all over. Made an important discovery, though. When you mix up three containers of resin at the same time for a big casting run, it doesn't matter if you double catalyze the second container when you forget to put any in the third. [B)]

Anyone wanna buy some gooey red cones? ugh...

There's a few of the black ones on those orders, so I'm not sure. I'll PM you! :)

J

jackrichington

Very interesting..a pine cone..yikes what will folks think of next Very nice

Jarheaded

Karl,
If you don't stop snooping around my shop, I'ma gonna gitcha!!!

The picture quality is not there because I just had to snap a quick shot of it to put here. It actually is a real nice pen.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Jarheaded

Karl,
If you don't stop snooping around my shop, I'ma gonna gitcha!!!

The picture quality is not there because I just had to snap a quick shot of it to put here. It actually is a real nice pen.

Heh...great minds think alike!

So, I guess that means the other kind of minds do, too. hmmph [B)][:p]

bitshird

Karl, the material looks awesome I'll just bet they are a Bi&ch to turn,but do look like it may be worth the effort. Now go sniff some more CA and PR fumes, it seems to bring out the best in you ;);)[:eek:)] by the way when are you going to get your web sit going, I thought I was slow [:p][:p][}:)]

woody0207

Karl,

From a fantasy book buff, those dragon pens and blanks you are making are waaay cool... :D

Can you point me to a thread where I can look to see the different flavors of "dragon" blanks you have to offer?

Also what is the going price for these blanks?

karlkuehn

Banned
Thanks Marty! I've been known to read a few hack and cast books myself. :) I don't have all of the colors that I'm doing listed yet. As for price, I started out doing them at $14/each, but moving forward they're going to be $20. There are 7 really time consuming steps in making them, overall, they're just a big pain in the pahookie. Turning them is no picnic, either.

I've been listing them on my 'Weird World of Resin' listing in Business Classifieds -> http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33879&whichpage=1

hehe Chris...I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to add a Dragonhide to my list of thing for the Blank of the Month club yet. Those things are a real pain to make. [B)]:)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
That's one real classy pen! I understand what you mean about haing the wedge portion of the cone under the clip. But I think it shines with more class this way.

Top Bottom