Skew suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

Looking to perhaps get a decent quality skew. Rely too much on my roughing gouge. Any suggestions that are reasonable in price and good size for pen turning? Hoping to spend no more than $65. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I use to shape my skew as Alan does but gone away from that because it is so much easier to go to grinder and a quick pass on stone straight across is so easy to do. Occasionally I will hone but find the grinder quicker and easier.

Size, I suggest 3/4" to 1" these keep the center cutting edge away from the points on the skew which can cause tearout and lots of havoc. Also stay away from the rounded skews or oval skews. Harder to control. But make sure the edges are rounded to avoid dig in into your rest. I use Robert Sorby skews and get them at Craft Supply USA. This is just my preferences.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...rm=robert+sorby+skews&term=robert sorby skews

SteveG

Consider a skew made from M42 steel: more expensive, but will hold an edge much longer. You turn more and sharpen less. It is worth considering the long term value along with the initial cost. Unfortunately, sometimes the 'budget' has to be the deciding factor.

Jmaxcy

I use to shape my skew as Alan does but gone away from that because it is so much easier to go to grinder and a quick pass on stone straight across is so easy to do. Occasionally I will hone but find the grinder quicker and easier.

Size, I suggest 3/4" to 1" these keep the center cutting edge away from the points on the skew which can cause tearout and lots of havoc. Also stay away from the rounded skews or oval skews. Harder to control. But make sure the edges are rounded to avoid dig in into your rest. I use Robert Sorby skews and get them at Craft Supply USA. This is just my preferences.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/130/3400/robert-sorby-M2-HSS-Skew-Chisel?term=robert+sorby+skews&term=robert sorby skews
Thanks.
The 3/4 in sorby was the one I was looking at. I have a sorby roughing gouge and it has treated me well thus far and most people seem to agree sorby is a quality product.

RobS

thanks! Is there a reason the rounded edge is better, or necessary?
Yes. It is so it will slide across the tool rest at the desired angle you need. That was why I was recommending you watch the video, so you pick up on all the subtleties of using the skew. I literally have watched it 5 times prior to using the skew and several times sense.

Top Bottom