Sketch Pencils for Grandkids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

These are made from the Berea Woodworkers Pencil Kit with a little modification.
The kit supplies two brass tubes of equal length (each a little under half-inch diam and about 1.65 inch long).
The kit also includes a two-ended center coupler with a hex "nut" at the middle, matching the hex nuts at the top/bottom ends of pencil.
I machined most of the nut shape off the coupler, just leaving enough to maintain the separation of the two brass tubes.
The result is a "single tube" about 3.4" long for the core of the pencil. . I prefer the look of a single barrel.
The barrel blanks are made from Alumilite scrap pieces cut up and cast into normal size blanks using colored Alumilite.
I bought the blanks quite a few years ago from Eugene ( websiste: ... www.muttblanks.com ... ).
Now that this particular family of grandkids ( 3 sisters ) are old enough to handle the largish size of these pencils, I made 'em up as gifts.
The pencil lead supplied in the kit is the usual black, but colored "leads" are also available (some shown in picture).
The diameter of all "leads" is pretty hefty at 5.6 mm, so hopefully the girls will enjoy some drawing and coloring with them.
Built into the top end button of the pencil is a sharpener which can be unscrewed and used to maintain a "sharp" point on the lead if desired.
Swapping "leads" takes a little manual dexterity and about five seconds of time.
All kids love drawing and coloring so we shall see what masterpieces get created.

Sketch.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Fantastic job sir !

The fun times to be had by the Grandgirls will be wonderful memories for all, of the people and places they draw !

I love the single barrel look ! Great job !

magpens

@wood128

"Did not know you could take that good a photo." .... Stick around, Joe !! ... and be prepared for more pleasant surprises !!!

Us Canucks can do more than just play hockey and build igloos !!

LouCee

Excellent work Mal, they look great! Nice mod, I like the single barrel and the blank choices are cool.

Nice pic too. At first it looks like they are floating on water or something, then after looking at them for a while they look like they are suspended in midair. No I'm not high or on any mind altering meds! 🤪

Top Bottom