Sketch Pencil from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

The lead is stuck inside the sketch pencil I made. I wonder if the CA glue didn't glue it in? The directions on how to glue the plunger onto the tube are hard to figure out. I've now watched this video
and the only thing I did differently was rather than hold the pencil with the tip up to let the glue set, I set it in a cup with the tip down, so it's possible the one drop of CA thin may have glued the lead in.

So my questions, do you think that's what may have happened and how do I get it out now so I can use the pencil?

Thanks, hope my question is clear.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarod888

It certainly is possible. Unfortunately, I think the only way of fixing the issue is to break the lead, while trying to salvage as much of it as possible. Basically, you have to get it free from the end and then clean up any glue. Once you get the lead out, you can probably use acetone to clean the internal components.
Good luck!

monophoto

Before destroying the pencil, try putting on a pair of rubber gloves (to get a better grip without marring the pencil body), and see if you can unscrew the lead end of the pencil where it screws into the brass tube. The problem of course is that if excess CA flowed down the inside of the pen to gum up the works, it could also have glued the nib section into those threads.

If all else fails, you could just soak the pencil in acetone to remove enough of the CA to disassemble everything. If you used CA to finish the pen, it would also be removed, but you could then refinish the wood components.

Last edited:

montmill

Thanks for the tips. I did get it out. I could see the lead through the slits in the advance spring on the tip so I used an Exacto knife and worked my way around the tip pulling down on the lead. Finally it came out. Now it works well. I wonder how long before instructions are in video format instead of words?

grpass

Thanks for the tips. I did get it out. I could see the lead through the slits in the advance spring on the tip so I used an Exacto knife and worked my way around the tip pulling down on the lead. Finally it came out. Now it works well. I wonder how long before instructions are in video format instead of words?
The lead in mine stuck when I first built it. After I got it out I pushed on the plunger to get the tip out and used a small screwdriver to separate the slots that hold the lead in. Works much smoother now.

Top Bottom