Sitting while turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a stool that I use sometimes and using it more often now. And there have been others that have done it in the past. There are even platforms for a few lathes that tilt the lathe so that the turner can sit, and developed more specifically for handicapped in wheel chairs.

dogcatcher

I have my lathe mounted on a standard height desk, I sit on a bar stool while turning. I have been doing this for over 20 years. Compression of the spinal cord left me in a wheelchair in 1999, a good Doctor got me into surgery, and a great Physical Therapist spent 6 months working to get me able to use a walker. The stool is perfect for to halfway sit on and work on the lathe. All of my tools are set to the height that a stool allows me to be comfortable using them. With support, I can stand for a few minutes, but the stool makes it safer.

Mikeyt

I made a work table about 17"-18" from the floor with wheels and I am able to sit down while turning helps a lot on my back and feet able to sit there and turn. I did it with a metal lathe and then with my rikon wood lathe was a great help just measured what I needed sitting down and went from there. It took about a weekend to cut the plywood and put together with pocket hole screws. Then paint. The first one I did was ok but smaller then I thought I was going to need so I made a second one a little longer on the sides and works great.
I sit on an office chair and can make the chair go higher if needed have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I've tried sitting, and turning pens and small items, probably could do so, but I turn mostly pepper mills, bowls and some hollow forms... I find that sitting isn't conducive to accomplishing much... also fortunately, even at my age of 79, I'm still pretty mobile and able to stand... however, after about 4 hours on the lathe, my back does begin to tire and get a little sore.

sbwertz

Several of my blind students sit while turning. My two lathes are at slightly different heights to accommodate shorter and taller turners, and the stool is used at the taller of the two lathes. It has a back on it for support.

SteveG

I posted this thread on the topic, and have built my own bench for use at a standard height lathe. Prior to this, I was using a midi lathe set on a low bench which allowed me to sit while pen turning. Now I am doing larger turnings.

MPVic

I made a work table about 17"-18" from the floor with wheels and I am able to sit down while turning helps a lot on my back and feet able to sit there and turn. I did it with a metal lathe and then with my rikon wood lathe was a great help just measured what I needed sitting down and went from there. It took about a weekend to cut the plywood and put together with pocket hole screws. Then paint. The first one I did was ok but smaller then I thought I was going to need so I made a second one a little longer on the sides and works great.
I sit on an office chair and can make the chair go higher if needed have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Would love to see pics of your setup. I think many of us are approaching the point where we have to start thinking about modifications to relieve a variety of ailments.

I have been turning from a computer chair for 5 yrs ever since I had major spinal surgery and can't stand but a few minutes. Made my lathe stand and every piece equipment in my shop to the hieght that I can work from chair when life gives you lemons you figure out a way

Jolly Red

I use a drafting stool at all of my tools, except the table saw. It is on wheels and I can move to get a good angle on the work. It is tall enough that it is also easy for my arthritic knees to get up and down. Have been using it for over 10 years, so I might not know how to use those tools while standing.
Tom

keithlong

I have been sitting on a stool and turning for 10 years. I turn pens, and bottle stoppers, and bowls and everything from a stool.

Top Bottom