Sitka Spruce…Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wrjones224

I have a customer that who has requested me to make some pens out of Sitka Spruce. I have never turned them before but the wood looks kind of bland to me. Has anyone ever tried turning it? What was your experience with it? I have read that it has is too soft to make pens out of it but then again there are pen blanks of it for sale here:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I have turned a ton of them. For log home builders. They are very soft and the customer was advised of this prior to making them. They didn't care. I have also turned quite a few out of denim wood / blue wood / beetle kill pine. Which has a nice contrast.
Lin

wrjones224

I have turned a ton of them. For log home builders. They are very soft and the customer was advised of this prior to making them. They didn't care. I have also turned quite a few out of denim wood / blue wood / beetle kill pine. Which has a nice contrast.
Lin
Sounds good. I will do the same. I just wanted to make sure they weren't too soft for pens before I told the customer I could do it.

TonyL

It is often used for acoustic guitar soundboards. Interesting choice and enjoy the commission!

penicillin

Most piano soundboards are made from Sitka spruce. It is the traditional wood for piano soundboards. I recently read an article expressing concern that the sound quality of pianos may decline due to overharvesting and anticipated shortages of piano quality Sitka spruce in the future.

Top Bottom