See more from Scry

Scry

20210624_003511.jpg

Diamondcast 'Metallurgy' with satin chrome kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice looking pen !!!
@Scry
Just a question about its construction ... is it double-tubed at the nib end, in order to facilitate the twist action for extension/retraction of refill ?
I have seen that done and it results in the barrel material being very thin at the nib end.
I would appreciate your comments. . Thanks.

Scry

Very nice looking pen !!!
@Scry
Just a question about its construction ... is it double-tubed at the nib end, in order to facilitate the twist action for extension/retraction of refill ?
I have seen that done and it results in the barrel material being very thin at the nib end.
I would appreciate your comments. . Thanks.
It's double tubed. Originally I was considering using wood but upon realizing how thin it would be I grabbed a piece of diamond cast instead. If I do this again I will probably not turn it down so close to the bushings so that it has some 'meat'.

DrD

Over the past 6 mos I have made numerous single tube slimlines, using only 7 mm tubes. Many have been turned down to seamlessly match the profile of the ballpoint nib. I have never had any issues with the barrel cracking or chipping with extended use. I'm not terribly sure of the worry over barrel thickness at this particular location. Twisting the pen nib to advance or retract the ballpoint and to remove the assembly to change refills, if done in a non abusive manner, doesn't appear to add any particular stress to the barrel, regardless if the barrel material is wood or "plastic."

Moreover the extra drilling to insert on oversized tube, giving a double tube at the writing end of the pen seems to have potential to cause more problems than it solves. Just my 2 cents.

Love the satin chrome pen with the Diamondcast blank.

DrD

Top Bottom