Singing the praises of CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Today was a very interesting day. I started with a large order I just recently received and then moved on to the last two orders for knives until probably the end of the year. So I'm buffing one of the knives and low and behold it bites me big time, like probably 3 stitches in my thumb and it's the thumb I use the most. So I've got blood dripping all over the place. I tried direct pressure, no help after probably 10 minutes. I sure don't want to tell my wife as she'll say I need to go to the emergency room, which I hate, and she'll probably call me stupid or something to that affect. So what to do? I grab my one bottle of medium CA, liberally coat my thumb and low and behold, the bleeding stops, no stitches needed and I'm a happy camper...but I still haven't told my wife. End of the story, thumb fixed, I think, my wife hasn't called me stupid or idiot and no trip to the emergency room, I'm a happy camper. So although I don't do anything with CA with regards to turning, it's now an intricate part of my first aid kit. Lesson learned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jay

As a Corpsman we would expect nothing less from you. However, don't start gloating yet. There is a big difference between medical grade and the stuff we often use in the shop. Keep a sharp eye out for infection. You can always sneak out of the house for a quick trip to the doc-in-the-box for a shot of antibiotics.
Jay

jttheclockman

As a Corpsman we would expect nothing less from you. However, don't start gloating yet. There is a big difference between medical grade and the stuff we often use in the shop. Keep a sharp eye out for infection. You can always sneak out of the house for a quick trip to the doc-in-the-box for a shot of antibiotics.
Jay
Glad someone else said this because this is so true. Just a quick point for it is common knowledge that CA that we use is brittle when dried and medical CA which has different ingredients in it does not burn and also stays flexible. Maybe someone should try using medical CA as a finish. That could be an interesting testing procedure.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
. . . and if you DON"T go to the doctor today, put GOOD bandaid on it tonight - or it will start bleeding in the middle of the night! Then you WILL have some explaining to do as well as cleaning. DAMHIKT!!!!

Glad you are OK enough to post, but get it looked after safely!

Lucky2

Tom, I also think that you should have it looked at, because Jay is right about there being a difference in Medical and regular CA glue. I'm sorry to read about you getting injured, it just takes a split second for these things to happen. Take care.

Len

grpass

I just recently tried liquid skin, made for similar types of injuries. I was pleased with it. Works in places where bandages don't want to stay on or you keep bumping the injury.

Top Bottom