Since there are no stupid questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I'm using Tac 7 hearing protectors. Must be 20 years old. Do hearing protector lose their value. Do they not protect as they should after years of using/sitting. Does whatever is inside of them deteriorate? Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I'm using Tac 7 hearing protectors. Must be 20 years old. Do hearing protector lose their value. Do they not protect as they should after years of using/sitting. Does whatever is inside of them deteriorate? Thanks, Frank
No I would say not unless the material used is suspect to drying out such as leathers. But today they use synthetic materials so no. What gets lost is hearing if the protection is not used even for short bursts and laziness to grab some because of a small project. being I worked in construction for over 43 years I leaned on safety equipment and many times bought my own even though many jobs supplied basic things. Hearing, eyes, and lungs are the big ones.

sorcerertd

This made me think of a joke I saw a while back

I golfed with a hilarious 78 year old man, and he was dishing out life tips the whole time. Definitely one of the most laid back guys I've ever met. He tells me after the round "don't talk to me in the parking lot, my wife is picking me up and she thinks I went deaf 5 years ago." What a legend.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding ear plugs, I am still using some I got while I was on a Navy ship in the 1980s. They work great and are easy to clean. Sometimes I just put in some bluetooth earbuds and listen to music.

WriteON

What gets lost is hearing if the protection is not used even for short bursts and laziness to grab some because of a small project.
Was in a gun range on the end lane. I thought the range was empty and took the hear protectors off for second... there was a shooter on the other end lane and shot what sounded like a tank. Ouch plus.

jttheclockman

Was in a gun range on the end lane. I thought the range was empty and took the hear protectors off for second... there was a shooter on the other end lane and shot what sounded like a tank. Ouch plus.
It does not take much because that are those sudden bursts of loud noises that can cause damage quickly. I even wear hearing protection cutting my grass which is basically just a walk behind mower but it is the long term of the noise that bothers me. What I really would love to see banned is those darn leaf blowers. My neighborhood is made up of fairly older retired people and there are many lawn service companies that come to cut their grass and the let alone the lawn mowers but those leaf blowers and they run them full open and the sound is deafening. In the fall they bring 4 or 5 people with them and they all run those things and it is deafening. If I am outside I will go get my ear muffs.

derekdd

Dad was a crew chief on a howitzer during the Korean War.

Back then, the Army wasn't issuing hearing protection. They all had cotton they stuffed in their ears. It was amazing he had as much hearing as he did, though he did get a partial disability from the VA/SSDI due to hearing loss.

WriteON

Dad was a crew chief on a howitzer during the Korean War.

Back then, the Army wasn't issuing hearing protection. They all had cotton they stuffed in their ears. It was amazing he had as much hearing as he did, though he did get a partial disability from the VA/SSDI due to hearing loss.
I was on an airboat in the Everglades. Sat in front of the no muffled engine. They gave us cotton. Worthless/dangerous.

Woodchipper

I have old ear plugs I got in 1969 plus some national guard surplus that are the same. Work great, just need to remember to use them. Also use them for shooting along with the Sonic earplugs that allow speech but shut down at loud noises. Have seen some shooter used both ear plugs and ear muffs.

howsitwork

I agree with the above but the SEAL of the protectors to the ears/face must be good. Eg if your beard gets bushy and they don't sit clean then they're going to let more sound in. If the foam cracks then same thing.

Soem seem to think that wearing a face dust mask over their beard enables it ( the beard? ) to filter as well ! Never understood that argument.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have had clamshell hearing protection that the foam dried up inside and became useless. You wouldnt have known it unless you touched it and it started to crumble and tear.

I use an expanding foam EAR plug and over that a clamshell hearing protector over the foam plugs. Works great!! Ask my wife when she walks into my shop how loud it is. I have to turn the music system up loud enough to barely hear it and she tells me it's like going to a concert. I also used this same system for over 40 years while I shot High Power rifle matches. I still say, Huh, a lot but I've learned after 50 years of marriage to filter some things out. Just saying

moke

I have a set of 20 year old wolfe ears, and they still work great.

I wear blue tooth over the ear head phones when I mow and crank the tunes...Metal....I am guessing that I am not helping my ears huh? LOL

darrin1200

Yes the foam pads on hearing protectors wear out. Most of the better quality ones sell replacement pads.

If you look up "earmuff replacement pads" you will see lots of replacement pads.

Woodchipper

When I was in competitive trap shooting, I bought 100 Howard-Leight foam earplugs rated at 33 db. Highest rating I could find. Still have a few left.

Top Bottom