Simple wooden pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This was the pen I made for Mrpukashell for the spring PITH. Like all of us I am always challenged in the pith's to take the basic requirements and push it as much as I can. This was my first ever attempt at an all wood bodied pen. The pen is made from Western Mesquite burl and Pine.

hdr%252520pith%252520pen%2525209.jpg

I used a pkmont kit for the non wood parts except for the refill, for that I used a parker style from Private reserve.

pith%252520pen%2525204.jpg
pith%252520pen%2525205.jpg

I turned the lower barrel to .394(10mm) and the upper tube to .456(11.6mm). The mesquite finial is solid and I did it that way for a reason. I turned a small tenon on the upper tube for the mesquite band. I turned it down to 10.2mm to almost match the lower body. I then turned the mesquite center band to 10.2 on the inside and 12mm on the outside. I then glued the center band on the upper tube and turned it down to match together.
pith%252520pen%2525206.jpg

I then drilled the nose cone for the refill profiles and turned the wall thickness down to fit in the tubes. Both the nose cone shoulder wall and the center band are .028 thick.

pith%252520pen%2525202.jpg
pith%252520pen%2525203a.jpg

I immediately used thin super glue on the wall of the nose cone to reinforce it. I made a brass mandrel that just barely slid into the nose cone to support it while I turned the taper on the front of the nose cone.
pith%252520pen%2525209.jpg

I turned the brass coupler down to fit the pen. Just barely larger than the brass tube and I turned it down where it press in to the tube. This allows me to make the check all the lengths before assemblage. The Small mesquite band does 2 things. It finishes off the top of the blank and it allows me to trim it down until I get the length right.
The pen assembled without a clip
pith%252520pen%2525208.jpg

I was really going back an forth about the clip. Black ebony or matching mesquite. I finally decided on the mesquite.
pith%252520pen%25252012.jpg
pith%252520pen%25252013.jpg

I made the finial solid and long to fit deep into the tube. I used the mill to drill a 2mm hole 3/8 (10mm) long, all the way into the center of the finial. I hand formed the clip with files, sanding sticks, and hand sanding.
pith%252520pen%25252014.jpg
pith%252520pen%25252015.jpg

I had already put 4 coats of medium ca on the pen and polished it. I haven't done but about 10 pens with ca and this one went on like a dream. After the test fit of the final shape I removed the clip form the pen and held it in tweezers while I put 4 thick coats of medium ca on it. I just poured it on carefully and spread it out with a tooth pick. Taking care not to get the tooth pick stuck. Then I hand sanded it starting at about 400 grit working down to 800 grit and then transferring over to Micro mesh pads. I started at 6000 and went down to 12000, the last step was to epoxie the polished clip onto the pen. IT took about 8 hours over 2 days to make the pen. I have a little over an hour in making the clip.
pith%252520pen%25252020.jpg

pith%252520pen%25252017.jpg

pith%252520pen%25252019.jpg

Anyway thats my pen for the Pith. Hope you enjoyed it, any comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Awesome job Mike . I have played with wooden clips with some success , yours is perfect !!! I love the combo of woods that you have used , very complimentary . Your fit , form and finish are stunning .

Phunky_2003

Simple??

Roflmao *shakes head*

*grumbles something inaudible*

He freaking said simple..........

An outstanding piece. That's a beauty.

MarkD

Now that is ART...and talent! Great Job.
Man...I need to rethink my ideas for the PITH!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very impressive Mike, and fine results. Thanks for taking the time to explain your procedure and, for the pics. I like it!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great Pen Mike!

At 8 hours for that pen, I'd call you a Speed Demon! Does that include design and planning time?

Design? Planning? you give me to much credit,:biggrin: nope definitely "as built" :eek: I just had the way the pen would look in my mind when I started. Form followed function. I kept making it smaller in diameter as I went. I made a brass rod to jam the blanks on so that I could turn the mesquite parts flush with the pine after I glued them on. THe final dimensions were turned with everything glued in place but the clip. there is no lip whatso ever between the mesquite and Pine.

Thanks for the comments. There is still room for improvement.

Mike

TerryDowning

Outstanding job!

I made a brass mandrel that just barely slid into the nose cone to support it while I turned the taper on the front of the nose cone.

Details of this mandrel and how you mounted it would be appreciated. Stock size, tail stock attachment etc.

Thanks

Terry

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Terry Its simply a piece of brass rod about 1/4(6mm) in diameter about an 1 1/2 (40mm) long. I mount it in the chuck and turned it down to the diameter of the drill bits I used to make the holes for the refill. IT is stepped down from the larger drill bit that fits the pen refill body size to the size of the tip that stick though. I made a pdf of what it looks like.

Attachments

• mandrell.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 248
  • mandrell.jpg
    mandrell.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

TerryDowning

Thanks, I was headed that direction. It's nice to know my ideas have been done before.

Is the smaller diameter in the chuck/collet or the larger diameter? Any tail stock support?

I'm Guessing live center on larger end with smaller diameter chucked?

Now to get some 1/4 brass rod!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I usually dont have a tail stock support. I some times cut a shoulder into the larger diameter to push against the jaws of the chuck so it cant push back into the chuck as i m workng on it. Hopefully this picture will show you how I use it.

Mike

Attachments

• mandrell2 use.jpg
    mandrell2 use.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 147
Top Bottom