Simple segmentation with CA matt finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brumar72

Brumar72

Hi all,
I'd like to share my latest pen: made of swartzia and ebony wood with white styrene ring accents.
Requested by the customer I did a matt CA finish. As for the glossy finish, I applied several coats of CA, then sanded with 320/400 grit to flatten the surface: then again CA to fill small gaps, if any, and then up to 3000 grit. Then I polished with oil and tripoli powder. At this point, instead of buffing I went back by sanding with 3000 grit, down to 2500 and so on, stopping once I joined the desired matt finish. The last sanding has been done without the blank turning, but very lightly along the wood grain to avoid micro scratches.
Hope you like.

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_105300.jpg
    IMG_20210409_105300.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20210409_105327.jpg
    IMG_20210409_105327.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20210409_105355.jpg
    IMG_20210409_105355.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20210409_105421.jpg
    IMG_20210409_105421.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20210409_105445.jpg
    IMG_20210409_105445.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice work !!!

Thanks for the details of your finishing technique .... I like the durable CA with a matte finish as you have done.

magpens

@Brumar72

Can you please remind me about what the "golden section proportion" rule is ..... I think it is something like 1.4xxx .... or 1.6xxx ....

@Brumar72

Can you please remind me about what the "golden section proportion" rule is ..... I think it is something like 1.4xxx .... or 1.6xxx ....
It's a ratio that the folk who know these things say is "found everywhere in nature" - which it is, I believe. It's represented by the Greek letter "phi" and is equal to (1 + sq root of 5) / 2.
Which equals (approx) 1.62
(Yeah, I'm an engineer)
HOWEVER - let's not get distracted away from this gorgeous pen. I agree that the proportion increases are right on and also offer that the ebony at the top makes it a first class piece. WELL DONE!

Brumar72

@Brumar72

@Brumar72

Yes, as Ted said it's equal to 1.6180339... šŸ˜

magpens

@Ted iin Michigan and @Brumar72

Thanks for both replies ..... I remember most "special numbers" to several decimal places, but not that one ...... I guess I am not an Artist !!!

For me, it might be easier to remember ..... ( 1 + root 5 ) / 2 ..... = 1.6180339888..... a phone in Adelaide Australia, add in the decimal pt. !!!!

Last edited:

sorcerertd

I like it! The design has me pondering as if looking at a painting, but it is art after all. The finish pairs perfectly with the hardware, too. I second the thanks for sharing your finishing method.

Since I was also wondering Mal, here is some reading material I found on it. The golden ratio. Sounds like an awful lot of precision measuring and cutting to me. If I use this, you can count on me doing some rounding off on the numbers. The spacing is certainly appealing to the eye, though. I wonder, did the first application of "the rule" start with the total barrel length, and then was applied to the shorter length, and so on, working toward the nib?

Brumar72

I like it! The design has me pondering as if looking at a painting, but it is art after all. The finish pairs perfectly with the hardware, too. I second the thanks for sharing your finishing method.

Since I was also wondering Mal, here is some reading material I found on it. The golden ratio. Sounds like an awful lot of precision measuring and cutting to me. If I use this, you can count on me doing some rounding off on the numbers. The spacing is certainly appealing to the eye, though. I wonder, did the first application of "the rule" start with the total barrel length, and then was applied to the shorter length, and so on, working toward the nib?
Thanks a lot Todd.
The spacing of the white rings does not apply to the whole barrel length since I planned to insert them only where placing the fingers when holding the pen. I first set the position of the ring closest to the nib, then, according to the rule of the golden section, i set the position of the second and with the same approach the third. Of course with so small surface to work on there are some approximations.
To be able to be more accurate I chose the swartzia blank slightly larger then 20x20mm so to insert the white styrene pieces just cutting 3 scarfs without separating completely the wood; it also helped to keep the grain of wood perfectly aligned.
I hope to have been clear enough (unfortunately my English is poor...)

sorcerertd

Thanks a lot Todd.
The spacing of the white rings does not apply to the whole barrel length since I planned to insert them only where placing the fingers when holding the pen. I first set the position of the ring closest to the nib, then, according to the rule of the golden section, i set the position of the second and with the same approach the third. Of course with so small surface to work on there are some approximations.
To be able to be more accurate I chose the swartzia blank slightly larger then 20x20mm so to insert the white styrene pieces just cutting 3 scarfs without separating completely the wood; it also helped to keep the grain of wood perfectly aligned.
I hope to have been clear enough (unfortunately my English is poor...)
Yes, that's very clear. There are plenty of people that speak only English and still do not speak it as well as you. Thanks for explaining.

Top Bottom