Simple Other

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This is an easy project, even for me.:D

Do others have any luck selling these keyring pill holders? If so, what kind of prices do you charge?

The wood, obviously is purple heart, the finish about 10 coats of Deft spray.

2007313153556_Purpleheart%20pill%20holder.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brent

I have made a lot of them, mostly for gifts. I have sold some for $12 to $15 But I live in a very small rural town. people seem to like them especially if they are made to fit the pocket well (not to big) I wish they made them with a more durable plating.

I've made a bunch for gifts. My MIL loves hers. Haven't tried to sell any but I go along with the wish for better plating. Chrome would be nice. Purses and pockets with change aren't too kind to the cheaper gold plating.

Alexander

William, I am interested to know how you like the Deft Spray. I tried it on a Cigar Pen for the first time last week, and it looks really nice, however I was wondering about how it will look after its been handled a bit. In finishing the Pen I found that I was a bit too anxious to get it finished and patience was key in letting the spray dry between coats. Also, the can didnt speak to methods between coats. I.E.,.. it didnt say to sand between coats, what grit to use etc. I have used deft in the past in finishing furniture and always used 000 steel wool between coats.
What has been your experience?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Sean,

I doubt if my choice of finish will hold up in a purse or pocket. I just felt like doing it with a finish that I wouldn't have trouble finishing it down in the grooves.

I rigged up a rotisserie motor that makes about 15 rpm in front of a cardboard painting box. I put the barrels on a dowell and give them a coat of spray every 15 minutes or so. As I understand it, additional coats of lacquer "burn" into the previous coats so I do not do any sanding between coats unless I have a major screw up that causes me to start over. [:(] To me the important thing is to Leave It Alone!! for at least a week to allow the finish to harden. Then, depending on how well I sprayed the coats on, I will give it a light buff with 5/0 steel wool and follow with the polish of my choice.

I hope this helps, just remember it is worth exactly what you paid for it! [;)]

In dental school we would often say "This method works best in my hands." That is the important thing, to find a method that works for you; it doesn't matter if it doesn't work for others.

BTW, I only added the last part because Ed4Copies holds me in such high esteem that I am required to make weighty statements on a semi-regular basis. [;)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom