Sim card?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My phone company just informed me that my phone will no longer work when I go to the USA (apparently pay-as-you-go on my network used the 3g network...or something like that).

Just wondering - is there a way to buy a SIM card at the airport or at a shop and be able to use it for calling for just a month at at time? I.e. not sign up for a plan, but rather just exchange the SIM card in my phone and use a pay-as-you go from the states? Do they sell things like that down there?

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

If the issue is that your phone is 3G, switching the SIM card won't fix the problem. You need a new phone.

We had to replace my wife's old 3G phone last year for that reason. She is a technophobe, at at the time rarely used her phone, so we chose the cheapest phone we could find. However, since getting the new phone she's learned what it can do for her, so it looks like we will be upgrading to something better relatively soon. Created a monster!

A basic principle - there are phones, and then there are cellular networks (service providers). They are different and separate things. 3G is the technology in the phone, and the technology in your phone must match the technology used by the service provider. 3G is rapidly becoming obsolete. If the service provider no longer supports it, then you need to move to a newer phone.

Switching SIM cards simply gets your phone connected as a local user on a network, which bypasses the exhorbitant roaming charges - something that we encounter whenever we go to Canada. I can't believe the prices charged by Rogers and Shaw!

So if you spend a lot of time in the US, having a SIM card for a US-based carrier might make sense. You can just switch the SIM card when you cross the border so that your phone registers with a US provider.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most (perhaps all) of the US cellular service providers now offer plans where the base monthly charge allows for unlimited calling - pricing variations come about as a function of data usage, and if you are like my wife and me and don't use a lot of data (we don't stream Netflix on our phones), you may be able to get by with the minimum data-allowance plan offered by the carrier.

By the way, if you expect to do as many of your fellow Canadians and head south for the winter each year, you might want to look at a different cellular service provider. Some providers offer plans that are designed for folks who move between countries frequently. That approach would eliminate the need to switch SIM cards. Our son tells us that Google Fi is especially good in this regard.

One other thing to consider - most modern phones are now designed to connect to available Wifi systems for both calling and data. What that means is that if you are careful and limit your calling and data access to periods when you have access to Wifi, you really won't encounter those roaming issues. But the key is to have a phone that has that feature, and I suspect an old 3G phone won't do that for you.

So bottom line - you need to buy a new phone.

Last edited:

Mortalis

I would recommend looking into a phone from Walmart or Target that is a pay as you go type deal. Typically they are referred to as 'burner' phones because you use them then throw them away. I had one when I was getting my daily carry phone fixed. When my D/C wa returned I just stopped paying for the service of the burner phone.
I still have the phone if I wished to I could reinstate it at any time.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
"It has also been determined at this time that Prepaid Voice, Data, and SMS will NOT be supported on our U.S. partners' 4G LTE networks. This means that a prepaid customer will be unable to roam or access voice, text or data services on a U.S. partner's 4G LTE network regardless of their device type."

I guess that means I need to look for a US Sim card. My phone lets me switch to an LTE network in the android settings...does that mean it's 4G capable? It's an old Samsung S5, but a buddy has an S6 or S7 or something like that that he said I could have if mine is no good...I'd rather keep this same phone, and not get a 'burner phone', as I have enough trouble remembering where I put this one, without adding another phone to the mix.

I just need it to be able to send a text or two if needed while roaming to the USA...minimum, cheap, bare bones.

So the next step, as I think my phone is unlocked, is to get a US sim card for a prepaid plan? I just need it for a week or so at a time, so I don't need a contract. Do I need an actual physical card to put in the phone?

Top Bottom