Silver Pen Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

So I was lucky enough to win a fabulous prize from Silver Pen Parts in the IAP Donation Prize Draw.
I'm now looking for suggestions for a suitable blank that will do this fabulous Solid Silver pen kit justice. This will naturally be a pen for me and I want it to be special in every way.
Any suggestions welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

If mine I would go with something without too much going on, so that the silver dominates. African Blackwood or a Rosewood (as rare a kind as you can get). Have fun!

SteveG

Seek out some of the nicest vintage material from years ago and be selective for appearance and suitability when matched to silver. (My experience: avoid bakelite: it has a certain appeal, but is unpredictably prone to cracking at some point well after the pen has been made.) Get ready for a beautiful pen! Silver has a 'glow' about it that is seldom equaled by ANY other hardware, bar none. I have also used Conway Colors Pistachio blanks (Exotic Blanks) with Silver. This yielded a stunning pen.

jttheclockman

The best vintage silver pearl blank I ever seen and worked with is the Omas silver pearl blanks. They are FANTASTIC. the pearl in them is stunning. I just made one and I am not sure I can do the lighting justice to show it off. I asked about this material here not long ago when I saw a pen with it on in Pen World magazine and then found it on pintrest too. I am looking for the thread. It use to be you could pull up your threads that you started but this new stuff just is wacky and does not allow it. Then trying to look through all your threads you posted too is time consuming. If I find it I will post photo.
0521bb_22aa7e70e3324d539fc4db19f71eee93-mv2_d_4088_2165_s_2.jpg
0521bb_0ad00b24ddca427faf02c5efee68990c-mv2_d_4088_2054_s_2.jpg

This is the photo I used in the thread I searched for. Even this photo does not do it justice.

Last edited:

darrin1200

The best vintage silver pearl blank I ever seen and worked with is the Omas silver pearl blanks. They are FANTASTIC. the pearl in them is stunning. I just made one and I am not sure I can do the lighting justice to show it off. I asked about this material here not long ago when I saw a pen with it on in Pen World magazine and then found it on pintrest too. I am looking for the thread. It use to be you could pull up your threads that you started but this new stuff just is wacky and does not allow it. Then trying to look through all your threads you posted too is time consuming. If I find it I will post photo.View attachment 302992View attachment 302993

This is the photo I used in the thread I searched for. Even this photo does not do it justice.
Here is the material from your thread JT

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for the thread. It use to be you could pull up your threads that you started but this new stuff just is wacky and does not allow it. Then trying to look through all your threads you posted too is time consuming.

John - Here's a little video I just made showing how to search for threads you started. I hope you find it useful.

jttheclockman

Here is the material from your thread JT

Darrin that is the stuff. Unfortunately my computer does not allow me to open that link. It is fantastic stuff. I bought mine off ebay and probably is from the same place. I put in an order awhile ago and as soon as I seen the blanks I went and placed a larger order. Love it. Not cheap but worth it for sure.

Thanks to Jeffs tutorial which makes this so easy now that I know, here is the thread I started about this material. Silver Omas pearl blanks.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/material.167725/

DJBPenmaker

The best vintage silver pearl blank I ever seen and worked with is the Omas silver pearl blanks. They are FANTASTIC. the pearl in them is stunning. I just made one and I am not sure I can do the lighting justice to show it off. I asked about this material here not long ago when I saw a pen with it on in Pen World magazine and then found it on pintrest too. I am looking for the thread. It use to be you could pull up your threads that you started but this new stuff just is wacky and does not allow it. Then trying to look through all your threads you posted too is time consuming. If I find it I will post photo.View attachment 302992View attachment 302993

Thank you. I must say, I really like the look of that Oma blank. The pearl never comes across well in photos but that looks good in the photos and I can imagine it's stunning for real. Was there a tube to paint in that particular pen?

jttheclockman

Thank you. I must say, I really like the look of that Oma blank. The pearl never comes across well in photos but that looks good in the photos and I can imagine it's stunning for real. Was there a tube to paint in that particular pen?
That was not my pen. It was a photo I found on Pintrest. When I did mine I did not know what to expect with the blank so I did reverse paint the blank silver. After I turned it I did not see any signs of the paint showing through but did not put it under a magnifier. I would break the camera out but I have so much stuff going on in the shop now I will do this all together when I get these 30 pens done. Unless you would like to see now.

DJBPenmaker

Seek out some of the nicest vintage material from years ago and be selective for appearance and suitability when matched to silver. (My experience: avoid bakelite: it has a certain appeal, but is unpredictably prone to cracking at some point well after the pen has been made.) Get ready for a beautiful pen! Silver has a 'glow' about it that is seldom equaled by ANY other hardware, bar none. I have also used Conway Colors Pistachio blanks (Exotic Blanks) with Silver. This yielded a stunning pen.
Thank you I'll have to have a look at that one.

DJBPenmaker

That was not my pen. It was a photo I found on Pintrest. When I did mine I did not know what to expect with the blank so I did reverse paint the blank silver. After I turned it I did not see any signs of the paint showing through but did not put it under a magnifier. I would break the camera out but I have so much stuff going on in the shop now I will do this all together when I get these 30 pens done. Unless you would like to see now.
No, I can wait and thank you for offering. I'm going to take my time with this one so no rush.

DJBPenmaker

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. It's great to have different takes on it.
Why do I find it easy to make decisions or suggestions for others but not when it's for me? 🙄

jalbert

Never thought of that! I wonder if silver is ok on a wood lathe with standard tools 🤔
I imagine it would turn just fine. It's quite soft, and I've seen people turn harder stuff like brass with wood turning tools. Waste would be the biggest issue, as silver is $$. You'd likely have to have someone solder/cast up a blank to minimize waste.

DJBPenmaker

I imagine it would turn just fine. It's quite soft, and I've seen people turn harder stuff like brass with wood turning tools. Waste would be the biggest issue, as silver is $$. You'd likely have to have someone solder/cast up a blank to minimize waste.
Hmmm I've got a sheet of silver🤔

DJBPenmaker

Hey, if you can make a tube from it and solder it, that would be a good solution. I'm a big fan of silver. It just oozes class
That'd be a new venture for me. The pen is Argentium Silver and the sheet is standard Sterling Silver so I don't know if there would be a colour mismatch. I'll have to look into it.

jalbert

That'd be a new venture for me. The pen is Argentium Silver and the sheet is standard Sterling Silver so I don't know if there would be a colour mismatch. I'll have to look into it.
Sterling would tarnish much more quickly. If you kept it polished, there shouldn't be a discernible difference

Top Bottom