Silver maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Hi gang,
Next week I am having a silver maple trimmed. Is this wood similar to normal maple, or is it something special. (IT'S FREE, so it is special, but.......)

Thanks for any, and all responces.

Jim

low_48

There can be some nice figure, colors ranging from cream to gray, to pinks. Areas under branches can have nice curl and it really takes dye nicely. It dries quickly. The only downfall is the machineability. It will be really fuzzy to cut up wet, and can still be fuzzy during turning. Sands really well though. I like it[;)]

woodman928

Silver Leaf Maple is usually considered a trash tree and is a soft maple, Red leaf Maple is also a soft maple but is a better quality soft maple. Both make great cabinet lumber and is what most of the maple cabinets on the market are made of. Silver Leaf does take very sharp tools to work with and will dull tools quite fast but is does turn OK and sands great but will burn easy while sanding. Can stain blotchy with wiping stains but will take a great finish. You can find wavy, tiger, curly etc. in Silver Leaf. Its great wood just not the best if you have a choice. I wouldn’t turn it down by no means but make sure its dry before using. [:)]
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom