Silver Maple bowl with colored resin inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alankulwicki7

alankulwicki7

Since our local turning club has their Christmas party tonight, I needed something for the turning exchange. I wanted to try something a little different so when I was turning this Silver Maple bowl, I was going to have a little curve in the rim. It wasn't quite what I had envisioned so I decided to add a little bling to it. Basically I turned a little groove in the rim, mixed up some resin and ended up with this.
The resin turned out better than I thought. I tried to use micro mesh (like I do on my resin pens) to polish out the rim but there were just a few scratches that I couldn't get out. I pulled out my Dremel, mounted a small buffing wheel to it and polished it the rest of the way.

The bowl measures about 7" x 4" x 3/8". I want people to use my bowls so I like to leave them a little thicker. It's finished with walnut oil.

I think this turned out nice so I'm going to have to make another one to keep!

Critiques and comments welcome!
Thanks!
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Sorry for the mixup. I copied my post from another forum and the pictures show up on my computer.

Here you go!

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 274
  • bowl1.jpg
    bowl1.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 208
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 279
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 265

Bob Wemm

I made a similar bowl and used opal chips and clear resin in the insert, sorry but I dont have a photo of it.
Thanks for showing, I really like the coloured resin.

Bob.

Top Bottom