Silver Iserts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

I wanted to use Silver wire to decorate a pen.

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_112210.jpg
    IMG_20210212_112210.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20210212_112224.jpg
    IMG_20210212_112224.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

It took me 6 hours to make the body mainly because I used CA glue mistake. Once I'd drilled the blank I inserted short lengths of Silver Wire. Once I started turning some flew out and had to be re glued. This took an age and how it never went in the Bin Attachment I'll never know.

Kcimdrib

EXCELLENT! Great design! Love it. Time well spent.
I meant to say getting the holes equally spaced I used a home made dividing attachment. Which I made for making wall clocks. Thanks for your very kind comments.

jttheclockman

I like it alot. How did you drill the holes and what shape was the blank when you did?? In other words did you round it or leave square or octagon?? Various ways of doing this.

Kcimdrib

I like it alot. How did you drill the holes and what shape was the blank when you did?? In other words did you round it or leave square or octagon??
I like it alot. How did you drill the holes and what shape was the blank when you did?? In other words did you round it or leave square or octagon?? Various ways of doing this.
I turned it round but left as much wood as the 20mm blank would allow. Then marked it out using my homemade Dividing head. Then used a Dremel to drill the holes I then inserted the brass tube and between centres glued the Silver Wire in place tapping it down to the tube glued with CA bad choice. It then resembled a Hedgehog. Realising I would have to shorten the wire before turning I linished it next mistake this softened the glue so when I turned it several flew out this happened a lot so kept glueing them back in. Eventually managed to turn sand and finish with CA. When I make another I will use Epoxy Glue. Sorry if this longwinded but hope it helps. Thank you for you comments.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the reply. I would not beat yourself up on the use of CA. I have used it and also epoxy to make similar blanks. In fact I have a blank on the workbench that I gued the dots in with CA and turned it round and no problem. The problem comes in if the CA does not go deep into hole. What I do is roll the dot material around in a puddle of CA before inserting. I tried droping CA over hole but it just puddles and does not seep in hole. Just a comment. Nice pen.

Kcimdrib

Thanks for the reply. I would not beat yourself up on the use of CA. I have used it and also epoxy to make similar blanks. In fact I have a blank on the workbench that I gued the dots in with CA and turned it round and no problem. The problem comes in if the CA does not go deep into hole. What I do is roll the dot material around in a puddle of CA before inserting. I tried droping CA over hole but it just puddles and does not seep in hole. Just a comment. Nice pen.
Thanks for that maybe give it another go. I also didn't clean the silver wire and that maybe compounded the problem. The great thing about the IAP site its full of good advice.
Thank You

Last edited:
Top Bottom