Sierra Twist vs Gatsby Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George883

I need to make some pens for a friend and was wondering there's a community preference between the Sierra and Gatsby kits. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I've made many of both. I like them both, but slightly prefer the Gatsby simply because it's a little more forgiving. Because of the "beads" on the tip coupler and clip assembly, the final diameter isn't as critical. However, there are more versions of the Sierra available. It's a tough call.

There is also the Gatsby Grande, which is a larger diameter. But because it uses a smaller 3/8" drill bit, the material is thicker. Can be better for translucent acrylics.

Attachments

• 063_circles.jpg
    063_circles.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 109

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Jim on the lower section 'beads' being more forgiving for the blank-component transition. 👍

magpens

Sierra is body twist, gatsby is finial twist.

Personal preference, no big advantage to either.

@George883

One other difference is that the Gatsby is a "double twist" ..... (according to current instructions written in 2009 -- there could be a change).
For the Gatsby, a "double twist" action means this: when you continuously turn the finial in one sense, the refill position goes from protruded-to retracted-then back to protruded. . . And when you turn in the opposite sense, the exact same sequence happens.

The Gatsby instruction sheet puts it this way: "The pen operates by twisting the cap in either direction to advance or retract the refill."

If you start with the refill retracted, then you can twist in either the clockwise sense or the counter-clockwise sense to extend the refill.

I do not like this "double twist" action. . . It is hard to know, from the "feel of things ", when the refill is in the fully retracted position.
To me this is a disadvantage because I hate getting ink on my shirt pocket.

For the Sierra, which has a "single twist" action, turning the body in one sense causes the refill to go from fully retracted to fully extended (protruded). . Turning in the opposite sense causes the opposite to happen. . From the "feel of things" you always know when the refill is fully retracted. . This is very important to me.

For that reason I have never used the Gatsby.

Now, it could be that I can buy replacement twist mechanisms for the Gatsby in order to get the action that I want but would be at a cost.

The Cigar pen kit (which is a differently designed kit) comes with a "double twist" mechanism (at least from one major manufacturer).
And you CAN buy a replacement mechanism which is "single twist", but that's added cost. .
Of course, we are not considering the Cigar .... I mention it only as an example to illustrate this possibility.

So, given the choice between a Gatsby Twist and a Sierra Twist, I would ALWAYS CHOOSE THE SIERRA TWIST.

Last edited:

qquake

@George883

One other difference is that the Gatsby is a "double twist" ..... (according to current instructions written in 2009 -- there could be a change).
For the Gatsby, a "double twist" action means this: when you continuously turn the finial in one sense, the refill position goes from protruded-to retracted-then back to protruded. . . And when you turn in the opposite sense, the exact same sequence happens.
You know, I would have sworn the Gatsby is single twist, but now that you say that Mal, I'm unsure. I don't have a single Gatsby here. I think I'll go eat mashed potatoes instead.

magpens

You know, I would have sworn the Gatsby is single twist, but now that you say that Mal, I'm unsure. I don't have a single Gatsby here. I think I'll go eat mashed potatoes instead.

You know, Jim ..... I have made a mistake or two in my life. . I could be making another. . If so, I stand to be corrected !!
( I don't have a Gatsby in my possession either ..... and I think you should know the "reason" ! )

qquake

You know, Jim ..... I have made a mistake or two in my life. . I could be making another. . If so, I stand to be corrected !!
( I don't have a Gatsby in my possession either ..... and I think you should know the "reason" ! )
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. I think I have a Gatsby at work, I'll check tomorrow.

magpens

I found a Gatsby Grande pen. It's a single twist.

I'm holding my breath !!! . . I hope that I haven't made another mistake ! ! !

In any case, perhaps George883 would like to know about a 3rd alternative ..... the Wall Street 2 from Woodcraft .... it is a single twist.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

I like the Sierras and Wall Streets I've the Gatsbys. The beaded Gatsby may be more forgiving on the diameter but the Sierra is a lot more forgiving on the length. I over trimmed a Gatsby and the ink cartridge wouldn't retract completely.

qquake

In any case, perhaps George883 would like to know about a 3rd alternative ..... the Wall Street 2 from Woodcraft .... it is a single twist.
Or maybe George883 prefers double twist. Did you think about that, Mal? Not everyone has issues...

magpens

If I may be so bold, perhaps try both and see which one you prefer.

. . . . you ARE the bold so-and-so, aren't you ?

The guy asks for help choosing between alternatives and your suggestion is to try them both ? ? ? ? ? ? . . . . :mad::mad::mad:

qquake

. . . . you ARE the bold so-and-so, aren't you ?

The guy asks for help choosing between alternatives and your suggestion is to try them both ? ? ? ? ? ? . . . . :mad::mad::mad:
If not, how will he know which one he likes? You're just upset that you didn't think of it. Silly Canuck.

magpens

If not, how will he know which one he likes? You're just upset that you didn't think of it. Silly Canuck.

Hahahaha !!! ..... well, if nothing else it has been fun trading barbs to further establish our IAP friendship ..... !!

But maybe it is time to get back to the standoff we've been enjoying for the last umpteen months !!

And . . . please let me know what you discover about the Gatsby . . . I have a funny feeling that I am in the wrong, so I am quite sure you will enjoy informing me of that. . . !!! . . . Not sure where I get my ideas sometimes ...... single twist ..... double twist ..... ?????

Just hope that between the 2 of us we have not completely put off George from participating in further "discussions" on IAP !!! . . . 😁 😁 😁 😁

Last edited:

qquake

Hahahaha !!! ..... well, if nothing else it has been fun trading barbs to further establish our IAP friendship ..... !!

But maybe it is time to get back to the standoff we've been enjoying for the last umpteen months !!

And . . . please let me know what you discover about the Gatsby . . . I have a funny feeling that I am in the wrong, so I am quite sure you will enjoy informing me of that. . . !!! . . . Not sure where I get my ideas sometimes ...... single twist ..... double twist ..... ?????

Just hope that between the 2 of us we have not completely put off George from participating in further "discussions" on IAP !!! . . . 😁 😁 😁 😁
Yeah, I hope we don't scare him away.

I would be surprised if the Gatsby is a double twist. Berea is more apt to use double twist than PSI.

Jans husband

While you two are doing your Chubby Checker routine of "Lets Twist Again", just a reminder that there is also the very reliable Sierra Click pen.
You did not say it had to be a twist pen George!
Mike
EDIT. Sorry you did specify twist in tour title, but is that an essential?

George883

Thanks. I thought of make several of each but I thought I'd ask because they are going to be gifts and I wanted each to look and feel the same. The same fit and finish and etc.

Bats

Just to confuse the twist issue a little more, there's also the Smitty's/Exotic Blanks Le Roi (also available in long body), which is very close to the Gatsby, but, like the Grande, uses the 3/8" tube to leave more material. That one uses a single-twist mechanism in the finial.

qquake

Well Mal, I couldn't find a Gatsby pen. So your twist issue remains unresolved.

qquake

I bought a Gatsby kit today. It's definitely single twist. I can see where your confusion came from, Mal. The instructions state, "The pen operates by twisting the cap in either direction to advance or retract the refill." I think they mean twist it one way to extend, and the other way to retract.

Top Bottom