Sierra Twist manufacturing defects?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzy

Has anybody else got this kind of problem with the Sierra Twist kit?

The fitting between the black part and the metal part that goes into the tube is off. It's hard to describe but there is a small gap at some places where both parts meet.

It looks to me like there is some problems with the quality check...

Attachments

• sierra.jpg
    sierra.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

That would be a first for me, but it's on yours. I've never had one gaped
there. They've come apart there once on but I just CA'd it back in and nothing further. Looks like it did slip past someone on, probably, a fast moving line.

Ambidex

Me too..not had a problem with them...by the pics, and I'm not saying this is the case, it looks like the components are square and the blank is off a bit..looks like both blanks are leaning a bit...but then I've had a couple beers:rolleyes::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The fitting between the black part and the metal part that goes into the tube is off. It's hard to describe but there is a small gap at some places where both parts meet.

They almost look cross threaded to me

Buzzy

Me too..not had a problem with them...by the pics, and I'm not saying this is the case, it looks like the components are square and the blank is off a bit..looks like both blanks are leaning a bit...but then I've had a couple beers:rolleyes::biggrin:

Yes, the problem is probably with the "blank" part, as you call it, of the nib assembly. I took the whole part from the kit and it was already like that. So during the manufacturing they did something wrong...

You make it sound like I did something wrong during the assembly :)

Ambidex

You're right Martin..my bad...was thinking you had a turned blank against it...looks warped or,,,or,,something? Almost like a manufacturers defect or sumtin:redface:..told ya I had a couple beers:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
They almost look cross threaded to me

Is this thing threaded? I thought it was like fused or press fitted.
I guess on the Sierra it is press fit...on my Le Roi the band is press fit in the tube and the nib end screws on...on the Sierra the band seems to be press fit into the nib end and that whole assembly screws onto the transmission.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think the issue is what is wrong with the OPs pen(s) right now, if anyone else has seen it and what can be done about it if anything.

If it is press fit, I think you might be able to fix it by pressing the two sections together...I'd make sure I didn't damage anything...if that failed I'd get ahold of the seller for advice and/or exchange or refund.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

My advice:
Send that picture to whomever sold it to you. If it is Exotics, I would tell you to use your pen press and see if you can press them into place. OR, if you prefer I would replace the kits.

I have, on rare occasion seen that section "spin", but I have never seen one that was not seated, like that one.

FWIW,
Ed

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

My advice:
Send that picture to whomever sold it to you. If it is Exotics, I would tell you to use your pen press and see if you can press them into place. OR, if you prefer I would replace the kits.

I have, on rare occasion seen that section "spin", but I have never seen one that was not seated, like that one.

FWIW,
Ed
How about that we both came up with the same 'solution'. My first guess is that it will seat if pressed.

edstreet

This is one of the big wear areas on the sierra's. Over time they fall apart at that nib section.

I completely disagree!

I've made,and sold, hundreds of Sierras in the last eight years. Never had one returned. I've only had two with problems. That is less than 0.67%.

So I am somewhat confused. Having only 2 returned tells me that you have little exposure to wear and tear over the years from various things, or am I reading this wrong?

Buzzy

In facts, I received these nibs 2 weeks ago. I already contacted the seller and got replacements, no question asked. IMO that's great customer service! He didn't want the defective ones back though.

Out of the 20 Sierra kits that I ordered, 8 had this problem. That's why I started this thread because I can't believe I'm the only one having this kind of issue.

Anyways, I tried to press one of the defective nib, as suggested by Smitty and Ed, and it worked. They look alright now.

I also contacted the seller to let him know about this thread and the solution.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

I too have had a VERY few loosen so that the black enamel piece can spin. Pressing it back together hasn't always solved the problem, so a few I completely knocked apart and epoxied the black enamel and tube in to hold it in place. I've also disassembled a few of them (look for my January PITH pen when it arrives at it's destination) and can guarantee that the sierra/Wall St 2s are press fit together. In my expericence the tube that connects the threaded section to the nib does not (by design, at least from my experience in the past year) seat all the way into the threaded section but the nib does seat fully into the tube (tho it does have a collar that sits flush with the tube and is about the size of the contact point of the black enamel piece). I would say there is a 99.9% chance that it will press back together, and if you are at all unsure, you could knock it apart, line the pieces back up, and you can press them back together. A SMALL amount of epoxy will ensure that it will likely never loosen again...

shortz1lla

I've had this happen on multiple Berea Sierras. It was mentioned not long ago, and it is certainly a manufacturing issue. The black enamel is press fit with some form of adhesive to the nosecone and coupler ends. With minimal use, and/or mild variations in temperature, several have separated on me. A bit of CA seems to be a good remedy. Luckily I hadn't sold any. I use the repaired ones, but wouldn't sell a Berea version for a nickel. Could just be bad luck, but I'll stick with different mfg of this style.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Glad pressing them together worked. I might add just a tiny drop of epoxy or CA glue.

This would be a quality control issue for the manufacturer but I wouldn't think of it a world shattering. It's a relatively minor inconvenience --- if it happened to me I'd just go through the inventory, fix the ones with the problem and get back to the maker to assure it didn't happen again.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As a pen maker, I agree that all kits should be 100% perfect!!

As a distributor for the past five years, I have a better appreciation of the scale of this "industry". AT LEAST tens of thousands of sierras are sold each year. (I wish more of it came through us!!) So, unless they initiate a 100% quality control inspection, there will be a few problems. You (the pen-maker) are the final quality inspector.

Most of the distributors, especially Exotics, will cheerfully replace your kits if they have issues. This happens in far fewer than 1 in a hundred Berea pens sold. So, if you get one with a problem, the odds of you getting another are similar to winning the lottery twice----it HAS happened, but sure not likely.

When Berea becomes aware of a problem that affects a significant number of their kits, they will start a 100% manual inspection in their plant in Taiwan. They do care about quality to a greater degree than most of the others we have encountered. So, whether you buy their products from us (we hope) or Ernie or Berea themselves, you can rely on good support for any problems, in part because we encounter so few problems!!

FWIW,
Ed

Top Bottom