Sierra tube guides--Worth the effort?? Please give your feedback!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have many ideas about "facts" pages for our website. As a result of a thread posted recently, I got busy on putting one idea into "print" and onto ExoticBlanks.com
This took a few hours to assemble and build the page. So, my question is, "Do you, the penmaking universe, consider this a tool of value? Or a waste of time?"

The purpose is to show what pen kits use the same tube, in this case the "sierra" tube which is 2.2" long and .4 to .41 inches in outside diameter.
Round top versions are shown here: https://www.exoticblanks.com/sierra-round-top-pen-designs.html
"Elegant" flat-top versions are shown here: https://www.exoticblanks.com/sierra-elegant-pen-designs.html

Please post or "start a conversation" with me (PM we used to call it) with your comments.
Thanks!!!
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nobdyspecial

It's an excellent idea. I've used the the spreadsheet available here at IAP, and then applied filters to try and determine equivalent pen kits. It's a bit of a pain. If you can organize the info that shows the most popular pen kit, and then all the other kits that use the same tubes, that would be fantastic. I personally like to choose pens that have interchangable blanks, so that I can offer multiple different kit styles, while only having to make blanks that can fit any of them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank-you, guys!!

next question: I have created two tables, so you don' t have to scroll as far. It also makes clear the distinction between round top and "elegant" square top.
There are numerous other designs that will be in a third table--not round or square--call them "themed", some of which have MUCH longer tubes, but the same diameter.

Should these all be separated as they will be, or would it be better in one table that would require scrolling through about 4 pages of info?

WarEagle90

Ed, I think it is a very valuable resource. Especially for those of us just starting out. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed, I think it is a very valuable resource. Especially for those of us just starting out. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
Thanks Dan!! You describe yourself as exactly the person I am hoping to help. So, what do you prefer: scrolling through information or information differentiated and a couple shorter tables?

Sly Dog

I agree with above - valuable. Personally I don't mind scrolling through one longer comprehensive table than breaking it up into multiple shorter tables on different pages, if I understood you question correctly. My short attention span makes it harder for me to switch pages and remember what's on each. šŸ˜‰

Larryreitz

I think it's an excellent idea and thank you for taking the time to put it together. I have often thought about turning a blank and then deciding which kit to put it on (or not) after I see how it looks. It would really be nice to have those options with rollerball or fountain pens. Great looks get the better kit. OK look gets the lower end kit.
Larry

jttheclockman

Being I was the one who brought the question to light on another thread I too would find it informative. These kits are getting out of control and it seems the Sierra and clones are the real players that get so confusing. So I am in favor.

WarEagle90

Thanks Dan!! You describe yourself as exactly the person I am hoping to help. So, what do you prefer: scrolling through information or information differentiated and a couple shorter tables?

Ed, it all depends on the amount of information and how it is all related. As Russ mentioned, it is generally easier to simply scroll through a single table unless the list just gets too long. If I am comparing the data for different kits and the list is real long, it gets to be a pain to scroll down, back up, etc. In that case, shorter tables on different pages work better because I can open up both pages and put them on separate screens or side by side on a single screen. Hmmm .... talk about riding the fence ...... I think I pretty much went right down the middle. I know I didn't answer your question, Ed, sorry, but it really depends on the amount of data.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to put the information out there for us and I will use it however you decide to present it.

edicehouse

Can the Star Review, and Read reviews be added? I think that helps people decide on certain things. Or I know this sounds weird, but a thing where you can see members reviews? I just randomly clicked on something and there was a review from Carl Mueller, and saw I order that product based on that review, and try another product, and say hey this person writes good reviews and maybe I will try this based on his review.

MRDucks2

Wonderful. I have tended to avoid sierra styles because I don't care for the standard Sierra. Then, as looked more and more I realized there were modified versions that I did like and in fact fact bought from EB. As far as format, I would say whichever makes it easier for you to manage when it comes to multiple short lists or one long list pointing out in the notes if it is a round, flat or other top. I expect you will eventually apply this to some of the others also as I try to keep nots on all the different cigar styles and beginning to wonder about the Jr series and such. With that in mind, what will work best for them and keep it the same across the site. I am one who always clicks the "see all" in a list, myself.

rherrell

If you would like the I.D. measurements send me one of everything and I'll measure them with gage pins, a lot more accurate than calipers.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you would like the I.D. measurements send me one of everything and I'll measure them with gage pins, a lot more accurate than calipers.
Thanks for the offer, Rick!! I will assemble a group of tubes and send them--it will be a more meaningful measurement, since that is where all the "press fit" parts will go!!

philipff

I have many ideas about "facts" pages for our website. As a result of a thread posted recently, I got busy on putting one idea into "print" and onto ExoticBlanks.com
This took a few hours to assemble and build the page. So, my question is, "Do you, the penmaking universe, consider this a tool of value? Or a waste of time?"

The purpose is to show what pen kits use the same tube, in this case the "sierra" tube which is 2.2" long and .4 to .41 inches in outside diameter.
Round top versions are shown here: https://www.exoticblanks.com/sierra-round-top-pen-designs.html
"Elegant" flat-top versions are shown here: https://www.exoticblanks.com/sierra-elegant-pen-designs.html

Please post or "start a conversation" with me (PM we used to call it) with your comments.
Thanks!!!
Ed
Why bother with all those bushings? Just use a digital caliper to measure the components at the junction with the blank and turn the dimensions. One step in the middle: switch from digital to steel calipers so you do not mess up the precision of the digital instrument. Works for me, every time. P.

Top Bottom