Sierra Style Pens Disengaged Transmission Issue -Possible Solution For Some Styles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I would have to think this was practiced or contemplated before. If one has a Sierra style kit that allows for the removal of the grip section/nib/aka "the thing the covers the point" - why can't I use loctite (red) to permanently affix the transmission extension to the female threads of the grip? This way the user will simply replace the refill by unscrewing the threaded grip section. This had to be thought of before.

I am very close to tossing these slip fit sierras (or donating them). I am going to try it on an elegant monarch sierra and thank you pen kits.

Thanks for reading and telling me why the idea above won't work.

PS. I know many have no problems with these, but I do. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Ed's reply:

The ellipse and later the diamond knurl both resolve the problem by allowing the penmaker to put adhesive on the transmission,
the nose comes off for refill replacement.

If you don't want to use adhesive, and someone pushes the transmission in too far, you can remove the finial piece and push on
the end of the transmission, making it available for the threads to engage again. (Bonus to the design!!)

I don't know of a sierra that can be refilled from the nose.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, it was part of the design advantages of our Diamond Knurl, Thank you pen, awareness pen, ellipse and zodiac series. Sometimes my instruction sheets are actually worth reading:oops::oops::oops:

In our new website, this document is not easy to find, (a condition we are working on changing, daily!!) so I am attaching it to this reply, the pertinent information is on page four

Attachments

• Ellipse Zodiac Thank You Pen Kit Instructions.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:

jttheclockman

OK I do not have any of these. I use and still have a ton of the older version along with the Vista kits which I plan on using. When I sell them I try to explain how to take apart and how to work them. But people forget. Never had one returned so maybe doing something right or people do not want to bother. I am sure people will find a way to mess a pen up.

TonyL

Yes, it was part of the design advantages of our Diamond Knurl, Thank you pen, awareness pen, ellipse and zodiac series. Sometimes my instruction sheets are actually worth reading:oops::oops::oops:

In our new website, this document is not easy to find, (a condition we are working on changing, daily!!) so I am attaching it to this reply, the pertinent information is on page four
Ed..you just made me a huge fan of the Sierra (always a fan of you and Dawn)! I remember discussing this with you. Unfortunately (as a CPA), I can remember tax law better than what I ate for breakfast. I just used red loc tite on the extension and blue on the transmission (in case I want to/need to replace it). Worked beautifully.

Maybe it is good that I forgot in case your response to my absentmindedness helps others (work with me here, I am only 56, my memory should be better LOL :)).

Thank you, and to all that tried to help. There's no place like the IAP.

TonyL

OK I do not have any of these. I use and still have a ton of the older version along with the Vista kits which I plan on using. When I sell them I try to explain how to take apart and how to work them. But people forget. Never had one returned so maybe doing something right or people do not want to bother. I am sure people will find a way to mess a pen up.
I don't know if people, will, but I will.

I was just getting frustrated because a pen point was not sticking out at all. I was about to disassemble the whole thing. As I was heading to my disassembly tool, I spotted a refill with a spring on it. Guess what? I never put the refill in the pen! Moving south was supposed to slow me down :).

jttheclockman

I don't know if people, will, but I will.

I was just getting frustrated because a pen point was not sticking out at all. I was about to disassemble the whole thing. As I was heading to my disassembly tool, I spotted a refill with a spring on it. Guess what? I never put the refill in the pen! Moving south was supposed to slow me down :).
Tony to be honest it is an outright shame that any little modification at all needs to be done on any pen kit to make it work or stand up to the rigors of use. Look at all the cheap 1.99 pens that you get and how well they last and the abuse they take. Here we have a $10 + kits that need tweaking and these are not alone. It is a huge pet peeve of mine.

TonyL

I agree to a point. but I do like inexpensive goods and services, so maybe I share in the blame. To your point. I am now:
Using slighter narrower drill sizes
Using epoxy to prevent the clip from rotating
And in some cases, loctite with the sierras

Minor stuff in the course of life, but it can be discouraging for someone just starting out.

I give credit to Ed et al for making the design more practical and repairable.

jttheclockman

I agree to a point. but I do like inexpensive goods and services, so maybe I share in the blame. To your point. I am now:
Using slighter narrower drill sizes
Using epoxy to prevent the clip from rotating
And in some cases, loctite with the sierras

Minor stuff in the course of life, but it can be discouraging for someone just starting out.

I give credit to Ed et al for making the design more practical and repairable.
Tony a pen company can make their clips either part of the finial or allow a notch so they do not spin If they carry the kit and there is a flaw then they need to stand behind the kit or product they are selling. This gets to be troublesome even for the experienced turners too let alone beginners Tony. These companies just want to keep putting out inferior products and we keep buying them. then it gets back here as to how to fix. I run into this with my clock inserts when making clocks. It is in all aspects of products produced. But frustrating for a small 5" long pen and you see .99 cent pens lasting forever. yes they are not as nice but they write. We as pen turners are trying to sell a product that is suppose to be better and classier but when customers come back with a problem on a $80 pen you sold them what do you say?? As I said this is a huge pet peeve of mine and there is no answer whoever sells them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
JT, you and I may find the notch a GREAT idea!! IF all penmakers thought that way, all kits would have notches.

More will complain about how difficult it is to make the pen, because of that "stupid notch". Manufacturers will design their kits to please the greatest number of people so they sell the greatest number of kits.

You have no idea how many things penmakers can find "difficult"!!!

greenacres2

That made my day. I have forgotten to put springs in--too many times!!
earl

jttheclockman

JT, you and I may find the notch a GREAT idea!! IF all penmakers thought that way, all kits would have notches.

More will complain about how difficult it is to make the pen, because of that "stupid notch". Manufacturers will design their kits to please the greatest number of people so they sell the greatest number of kits.

Are you kidding?? How much harder is it to align a clip in a finial. Yes it may take a little rotating to get the blank just right but come on people. Pen making is done by kids and has to be one of the easiest hobbies around. Beyond my level of comprehension I guess.

TonyL

As I have stated before, the design flaw in the Sierra pen is easily corrected with a 1/4" length of 1/4" dowel in the cap. Never had a problem. Using this method for years.
You are right, but I don't expect a client or even someone I gifted a pen to do this.

TonyL

Agreed, some folks will find it difficult but a clip should not rotate or have to be re pressed. The clip, like the final, nib section, etc, is and integral part of the pens form and function. For that matter. Pen kit manufacturers can just ship a completed kit to the hobbyist....then no part of the process should be difficult..lol

randyrls

To join the thread; I use loctite on the transmission on all the Sierra style pens and glue a spacer into the cap too! Instructions I include with the pen say to unscrew the nib to replace the ink fill. On some variants the nib can't be unscrewed though.

Top Bottom