Sierra Nomad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I bought a few of these awhile ago from Turners Warehouse just to try. Now the bushing suggested on the sites is a 20A which is the basic sierra bushing. But I measured the kit and it is between the Sierra and Sierra Vista. Am I missing something so obvious that I am not seeing it. this happens when you get older so do not laugh. Now I can turn it easily with calipers and will probably have to do this but was wondering is there a seperate bushing for these or do they match up with any others that people would know?? I could start looking in the library chart but thought this might be quicker. I have see those kits shown here before so know people do make them. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The BEREA sierra nomad (0502PL/CFM-GN & 0502PL/GN-CFM) uses the 20A Bushings. The tube is identical to any other Berea twist sierra style. 2.2" long. Sounds like the kit you got could be a "look-alike". OR the wrong tubes are in it--does it have a Berea label?

qquake

The only difference I see, is that the Nomad has a carbon fiber finial and nib assembly. When you say you "measured the kit", does that mean you measured the components and they're bigger than the bushings?

jttheclockman

The only difference I see, is that the Nomad has a carbon fiber finial and nib assembly. When you say you "measured the kit", does that mean you measured the components and they're bigger than the bushings?

OK looking through my kits the tubes are all the same. But evidently there is a a 20A and a 20B bushing I am guessing. I have been making Sierra Elegant kits just recently and they take the 20A bushing. The Sierra style B has a larger cap and this is where the problem is coming in so I am guessing they take 20B bushings. I will need to confirm this. The Nomad matches the Sierra styleB kits. The Nomad is a Berra Hardwood kit and in the instructions it calls for the 20A bushing on all the sites I looked at. I measured the cap and it measures 12.86mm +or- The 20A bushing measures 12.03 +or-

jttheclockman

The BEREA sierra nomad (0502PL/CFM-GN & 0502PL/GN-CFM) uses the 20A Bushings. The tube is identical to any other Berea twist sierra style. 2.2" long. Sounds like the kit you got could be a "look-alike". OR the wrong tubes are in it--does it have a Berea label?
Yes Ed calls for the 20A and that is why I did not order when I got the kit
I thought B bushings were the same, they just fit on the thicker B mandrel.
I am throwing out guesses here. You are probably right. There has to be a different set of bushings for styleB kits. Has anyone made the nomad kit and they maybe able to answer what is going on. Maybe I am all wet here but something is not adding up.

jttheclockman

OK maybe here is where my thinking is going off. The Nomad and standard Sierras have a round double ring on the bottom of the cap. I am measuring to the utmost bottom of that ring as far as I can get calipers. Maybe the blank needs to be turned down to that 12.03 measurement and fits under that ring. I would be taking off about .83mm to meet that measurement. I do not ever remember doing that when I made those kits. I looked at past threads here where people have used the Nomad kit and they even said it takes the 20A bushings. So I must be way off base and will turn to my caliper dimensions. Thanks and will let you know results tomorrow because I am scheduled to turn that one. I would never turn that top part for cap to that dimension. It would not look right. I will figure it out.

Last edited:

qquake

Here are a couple of Sierra Grip pens, which also us 20A bushings. In my opinion, both ends of the body should be turned to the same diameter. The tip end should be relatively the same diameter as the "trim ring". The finial end should be smaller than the "rings".

Attachments

• 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 123

qquake

This is a Woodcraft Wall Street II, which is a Berea Sierra Elegant, I believe. I did use 20A bushings to turn it. Same thing, both ends of the body are the same diameter.

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 114

jttheclockman

I agree with you on the elegant because that is what I just did but disagree with you on the first ones because if you look under those 2 rings there is a lip and that is where the edge of the blank should end and it is a bigger diameter than the nib end. At least on the Bearra Sierras. That is my point and according to my measurements it is 12.50mm and the nib is 11.98. You say not a big difference but to me I want a seamless transition at all times between kit and blank. I hate to run my fingernail over those areas and feel a difference. I shoot for this in my turning of these and all pens. Just me and the way I do it.

jttheclockman

Just wanted to follow up on this thread and put a bow on it. The 20A bushings work well with the Nomad kit. I turned the pen today and all was good. Operator error yesterday and one of those days I should probably have left the shop sooner. I am sure we all had those days.:)

Top Bottom