Sierra, Mesa, Wall Street etc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgerwin11

Are there any real differences in these kits other than the trim? To my untrained eye they look the same. My uneducated guess is that any meaningful differences would be the quality of the twist mechanism and platings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Boy, I hope someone can comment on this. I have always wondered if the mechanism is better in the Sierra vs the Messa, and maybe others/ Who knows??

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

Are there any real differences in these kits other than the trim? To my untrained eye they look the same. My uneducated guess is that any meaningful differences would be the quality of the twist mechanism and platings
I will say this....it is a definate, possible maybe that there are some differences. With a price range variation from <$5 to >$15 ( sometimes even for the same model) everybody would like to think there are and some folks will swear there are. My personal opinion is that the differences are mostly superficial and there will be as much difference between platings from the same source as between the same platings from different sources. I know that the same source can have different suppliers of tubes and transmissions and the refills used by different makers are all replaceable and often changed by the turners before they sell the pen.

bradbn4

I just finished up a bunch of Mesa pen's - found that over all length of the tube to be about the same tho the Mesa seems to be either a bit thinner in wall thickness - or be a bit wider. To the eyeball - they do seem to be the same diameter as a Sierra.

I could tweak the Sierra with a very small dab of glue to get a good fit and no one would really know.

The Virage kit seem to fit well on the messa pen tube the one kit I assembled that way.

ghostrider

Wall Street and Sierra a re body twist (I assume the Diplomat and Mesa's are the same).

Gatsby, Monet', Le Roi are finial twist.

Le Roi used to have a very nice Black Ti, but doesn't appear on his site anymore. I haven't used the Gatsby, but have done several Monet's. I like the Le Roi's and Monet's, but prefer the Le Roi with the Gold Ti/Black Ti, as I just like the look better than the Monet'. Still like the Monet', just for different things.

I had assumed that similar kits were identical until I purchased batches of slimline kits from two suppliers for a large order. The less expensive one seemed cheaper and so I spent the money on the more expensive kits. The transmissions were noticeably different. I won't be able to tell you if the less expensive were worth it yet they are still in the bags until I have a craft fair scheduled.

I like Wall Streets over the Sierras I have seen, but honestly I have only purchased Sierra kits when I didn't want to pay two shipping fees and the WSII tube was already finished. The assembly worked without a problem and the bushings were interchangeable basically.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not available anymore

Wall Street and Sierra a re body twist (I assume the Diplomat and Mesa's are the same).

Le Roi used to have a very nice Black Ti, but doesn't appear on his site anymore. I haven't used the Gatsby, but have done several Monet's. I like the Le Roi's and Monet's, but prefer the Le Roi with the Gold Ti/Black Ti, as I just like the look better than the Monet'. Still like the Monet', just for different things.
That shade of black TN is no longer available from the manufacturer.

ghostrider

That shade of black TN is no longer available from the manufacturer.
Sorry. I was unaware of that.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have discovered the hard way that it's not a good idea to mix and match the Sierra, Mesa, etc. parts. The Mesa, as has been stated, has thinner tubes and if you examine the tube you will see a slightly "necked down' area at each end, like on a .306 rifle cartridge. Not sure why it's there but when pushed into a Sierra kit there is a fit issue. I have cracked acrylic blanks while assembling due to this variance kit to kit. There are differences in the transmissions, some are smooth others are like there is sand in them. The finishes and durability of the plating varies a bunch too. My favorite is the Berea material. It seems to be more predictable. JM2CW
WB

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The information that I like to provide to answer this question is too specific to be permitted on the open forum (they say it is advertising).

If you like, PM me with your email and I will send you a "short history of pen kits" from 1995 until present.

Top Bottom