Sierra click kits any good?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I attended the MPG in Chicago last weekend and bought a real nice sierra blank to make a special pen for my wife. Problem is that I am terrible at matching kit finish to blank design. I looked at the kits from Exoticblanks all weekend but just couldn't decide what might look best. My wife loves the blank I bought her and after discussing the options she would like to have a satin finish with a decorative center band (not knurled). She asked me about the CLICK versions and I have never put a click version of the sierra kit together yet. Do they work well? I kind of think the pen looks too long or is that just me?
So I guess I'm asking if you all like the click versions of the sierra type kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have been very happy with the "Berea" Sierra Click mechanism. I do not turn many pens, so others may have a different experience with more volume.

magpens

I like the Berea Sierra Click very much ... one of my very top favorite kit pens ... must be Berea . . But just a little big for ladies perhaps.

It has a very smooth, quiet and reliable operation ... the best of all available clickers, IMO
The current version of this kit, released 5 or 6 years ago, is a HUGE improvement over the previous version ... I won't go into the reasons but you can PM me if you really want to know.

My two latest are shown here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/two-pens-my-dentist-159770/

However, for a ladies hand, I think a better size with equivalent quality is the Elegant Sierra or the Sierra Elegant Beauty.

Another possibility for the smaller hand is the CSUSA Aero (or it might be called the Artisan Aero) ... it is made by Dayacom and is v. good with decorative bands that are highly appealing ... however, smaller brass tube diameter, but I like that because it leaves greater thickness on the turned blank.

Last edited:

keithlong

I made one using the wall street II click pen kit from woodcraft, for my wife 9 years ago and she uses it every day and have not had any issues with it. Woodcraft has them on sale starting tomorrow for the month of May.

greenacres2

If your blank is pre-tubed, the Bushing/Tube app shows the Sierra Button Click at a length of 2.42", while the Sierra Twist is at 2.21" tube length. In other words--a pre-tubed blank would be too short for the click. The Sierra Elegant and Elegant Beauty as mentioned by Mal is at 2.21" length, so it should be fine.
Thanks to Wayne for the Bushing & Tube app!!
earl

DrD

A little late to the party here, but just thought I'd opine that the Berea Sierra Elegant Beauty Click is my absolute favorite ball point pen kit. I keep bugging Jim to bring out a pencil version of the Elegant Sierra, and keeps laughing.

Top Bottom