Sierra Click _ PSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dpstudios

Oops. I bought a couple of Sierra blanks and as most of my customers prefer click pens rather than twist I got a couple of Sierra Click kits. Turned a blank, assembled the pen, and "Holy Over-extension Batman" something was wrong. It turns out that the tube for the click style is 2.42" and for the standard twist (and the blanks I purchased ) is 2.21". My bad for not checking the Tubes and Bushings app. Just posting so others may not make the same mistake. Back to the drawing board.
20191011_115926.jpg20191011_115953.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Dan, that is repairable, it would take some time, but it is one that you could try fixing. Or, you could keep it for personal use, and cut the refill a bit shorter.

Len

dpstudios

I'm going to take it apart and look for other click kits that will fit. Anyone have any suggestions?
The app states that the Dayacom Sierra Click will fit, but so far I can't find anyone that sells it. Barring that I'll just suck it up and get twists.

magpens

@dpstudios

You won't be able to find a clicker kit that uses the shorter tube length because there aren't any. . I have been through that.
I would not trust the App dimensions in this case.

I would suggest that you glue a black "washer" on both ends of each of your blanks .... thickness of 0.5 * (2.42 - 2.21) = 0.105"

Of course, that means you have to rework the blank and possibly refinish as well. . I realize that you may not be able to do that if you have already turned and polished the blank you want to use ... the surface would get messed up in the lathe.

There might be a way to make those washers to the exact right size and finish the edge of them nicely so that you can glue them on (extreme care required) in such a way that you don't mess up the already nicely finished blanks. . I know that if you are able to do this the brass tubes will not come right to the end but you can compensate by making the holes in the washers just a touch small. . However, I don't think that is really necessary.
But I do think you should add a tiny bit of glue (epoxy is best, I think) when you press the hardware to the blank.

Good luck !

Top Bottom