Showing my naivety here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

069F9C80-463C-4AFD-89F1-F268E35A5253.jpeg
I bought a couple Apollo pen kits at Bullseye Turning and I seen these kits there called a tobacco sampler. I'm so naive, I have no idea what they are used for. Just curious, does anyone know?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

They are commonly called a "one hitter". Essentially, anything you would roll up in a paper and smoke, you can put in here and smoke. So yeah, a sampler of... um... well, tobacco would work. Not my thing, but I know plenty of people who would enjoy these.

As for me, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Apollo kits!

Joebobber

I made a few pipes to test the market at my shows, and while they did sell, I ended up not putting them out after awhile. It just felt wrong to me, as most shows had alot of children/families present. I know there is a market for paraphernalia, but how do you go about selling it without calling smoke shops, ect?

KenB259

Think Bob Marley, Reggae, and that favorite "Wacky Tabbacky".
Thank you for your conviction not to make. It shows principals.
There is addiction in my family, thankfully not me, but I have seen the heartbreak it can bring and I don't want to possibly be a participant in anyone's addiction, at least not on the negative side of it.

KateHarrow

Hey Ken, Kate from Bullseye here. We're based in California where medical and recreational cannabis is legal & quite popular so these have been a hit with customers. No offense intended to anyone, and I fully respect anyone's decision not to make them.

penicillin

Here are my comments:

1. The price of the kit seems very expensive for what you get.

2. I am tired of intolerant, self-righteous comments on Penturners about pipes, while at the same time, nobody makes similar comments about other products that are just as politically sensitive. A perfect example is guns. Gun-related pen kits are very common here. Both guns and pipes are legal, yet one gets a lot of negative attention (see above) and the other gets no negative attention at all. (I chose guns because it was a good example of a sensitive topic; I could have chosen other examples.)

This comment isn't about pipes. It is about intolerance. I do not use or make pipes as gifts - I don't smoke.

If someone makes something and it is legal to make it and they post it here, don't be judgmental. Praise the good woodturning and offer advice and assistance to those who need it. Don't go bashing someone else's woodturning project because you don't like the product, even though it is legal. Show your own integrity by giving the same courtesy that you would want for whatever "controversial" projects that you may make. Whatever it is, there must be someone here who would otherwise object to it, but has the sense to avoid the politics and stick to the woodturning.

Fight the laws and the people who make or sell pipe kits on some other forum, not Penturners. Shouldn't that be obvious to everyone?

KenB259

Here are my comments:

2. I am tired of intolerant, self-righteous comments on Penturners about pipes, while at the same time, nobody makes similar comments about other products that are just as politically sensitive. A perfect example is guns. Gun-related pen kits are very common here. Both guns and pipes are legal, yet one gets a lot of negative attention (see above) and the other gets no negative attention at all. (I chose guns because it was a good example of a sensitive topic; I could have chosen other examples.)

This comment isn't about pipes. It is about intolerance. I do not use or make pipes as gifts - I don't smoke.

If someone makes something and it is legal to make it and they post it here, don't be judgmental. Praise the good woodturning and offer advice and assistance to those who need it. Don't go bashing someone else's woodturning project because you don't like the product, even though it is legal. Show your own integrity by giving the same courtesy that you would want for whatever "controversial" projects that you may make. Whatever it is, there must be someone here who would otherwise object to it, but has the sense to avoid the politics and stick to the woodturning.

Fight the laws and the people who make or sell pipe kits on some other forum, not Penturners. Shouldn't that be obvious to everyone?
Chill , not gonna argue with you.

KateHarrow

Here are my comments:

I just wanted to comment on the price thing - we are trying to get the price down. They're American made and very high quality materials for safety reasons but I promise you I am working on a solution because I agree with you, the price is higher than I'd like it to be. I'm shooting for them to be $10 kits by sometime next year without compromising quality

Top Bottom