Show your disc sander squaring set up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I just had a Squaring jig made for the Sorby belt sharpener. Works well but I do not like swapping the set up from chisels to squaring. I prefer separate stations. I'm thinking of a mini disc sander with a squaring jig using a rod inserted through the brass tube. Please show what you have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I'll just link you to it as I have posted the picture lots before.

WriteON

Anyone familiar with these. I use it as a dedicated blank trimmer with a Rick Herrell jig.

Attachments

• 37060.jpg
    37060.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 38060.jpg
    38060.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 202

Charlie_W

I use a 12" Delta disc sander with a gig similar to Curly's to get the blanks close to the tube and finish with a setup like JimB used for final squaring/fit.
A small disc doesn't give you much usable disc space since you can only use 1/4th if the disc.....and will clog more quickly.

Curly

I'm more interested in the motor/disc. Looking for a small footprint set up.

Well you likely won't care for mine. ;) It is a 6" x 48" belt / 12" disc sander from Grizzly.

Charlie_W

Well you likely won't care for mine. ;) It is a 6" x 48" belt / 12" disc sander from Grizzly.

That 6x48 w/12" disc is a nice size....had a couple in cabinet shops I worked in years ago.

Curly

If space is that tight you should use your lathe. A disc on a faceplate and either a jig in the tailstock or a table mounted to the bed/tool post. It might take a few minutes to setup and take down but it doesn't use anymore space than you already use at the moment.

You could also mount a disc to the hand wheel on the outboard end of the headstock and leave a jig setup all the time. It would take up a little more space but less than a separate machine.

WriteON

The lathe set up looks great. But again I prefer a dedicated trimmer. I am having benches built when I move... I should have room for whatever I need. For now I'm looking into disc sanders. I have no issue using barrel trimmers on a lathe. But like having a disc/jig to work on an almost or finished blank.

Jarod888

I have the harbor freight disk sander, you can get it on sale for 70$ or so. It's ok. If I had to do it over again, I'd pick up the rikon cast iron sander, but its about 4 times the cost of the harbor freight one.

WriteON

I thought about the Proxxon but want more HP. What do you feel is the smallest disc that is suitable for blank squaring with a jig. The Sorby belt "field" is too small. I don't mind having a belt/disc combo but a disc is enough for what I'm doing. I'm ok for price.

Top Bottom